Sign in to follow this  
safwanm

N400 form

I am applying for naturalization, I need help on how to answer the one of the general questions:

- Since becoming a lawful permanent resident, have ever failed to file a required Federal, State, or local tax return? Yes No

I became s permanent resident in July 2003, I was out of work during that year and I did not earn enough money to file for tax return, I wrote to IRS and they approve my request.

I don't owe IRS any taxes. All the other years my taxes paid in time.

What should be my answer to this general question?

Thanks in advance

Unfortunately, what I think about your answer may not prove helpful to you. Remember that the naturalization application review looks at two things. One, your candor in responding to all enquiries and, two, your overall eligibility based on your answers.

The tax question, seems to be framed in a way to help the Adjudicator make a determination of one aspect of the applicant's moral character (willful failure to pay tax is a misdemeanor; lying in a form and tax fraud are both considered crimes involving moral turpitude, which point to a person's lack of moral character). Your explanation that you corresponded with the IRS and got their acknowledgment might go to show that you did not willfully fail to pay tax and you did not commit tax fraud in that instance. So, it would appear that your answer was appropriate under the circumstances. How the Adjudicator might actually interpret your response is unknowable.

Hope this helps.

Thank you again for your helpful answer, in fact I was about to send the application today but for some reason I did not yet.

As I said in my explanation, I did consult with my accountant and he looks to my income and said there is no need to submit a tax returns for that year, In the years later I paid my taxes since I was working, in 2009 I had big tax returns from the IRS, this is when they check my files and asked me for the 2003 returns. I wrote to them with explaining that I was out of work, and I received a letter from them to say that they agree with me and I don't have to file for tax return.

Do I need to consult an immigration lawyer to help me out and properly write the explanation for me?

If so, are available for paid advice? you can send me PM to ####.com

Thanks again for the help