Sign in to follow this  
popsonly

10 year old estate

My father died in 2000,his wife, not my mother got 1/4 of a business he owned, because he died intestate,

The estate was held up in court for many years and to this day we have not received notification that it has been settled. Now the wife died recently and was buried quickly with no notice to anyone. Who stands to get the rest of his inheritance if the estate has not been settled?? I was my father's only child. His wife had a daughter from a previous marriage that was raised by an aunt, will she be entitled to anything? Can I make a claim on her estate, it was pretty substantial.

Not clear why you've been sitting back waiting for a "notification", nor why you'd expect that someone would notify you about a non-relative's death.

"Who stands to get the rest of his inheritance if the estate has not been settled??"

Sorry, but I'm not sure what you mean here. The same people that stood to "get" it before.

"His wife had a daughter from a previous marriage that was raised by an aunt, will she be entitled to anything?"

Your stepmother's daughter has nothing to do with your father's estate unless he left her something in a will, etc. She and any siblings presumably inherit her mother's estate, unless her mother left a will to the contrary.

"Can I make a claim on her estate, it was pretty substantial."

A claim for what? :) Your stepmother's estate has nothing to do with your father's.

Seek local estate-probate counsel.

"The estate was held up in court for many years and to this day we have not received notification that it has been settled."

This kinda makes it sound like you've just been sitting around waiting for someone to tell you what's going on.

"Who stands to get the rest of his inheritance if the estate has not been settled?"

I'm not quite sure what that means. I certainly would hope that this was determined a long time ago by whomever was acting as executor of your father's estate. Your stepmother's death doesn't (or shouldn't) impact the administration of your father's estate.

"I was my father's only child. His wife had a daughter from a previous marriage that was raised by an aunt, will she be entitled to anything?"

As a general matter, your father's estate should have been divided in some manner between your stepmother and you. Your stepmother's daughter has no entitlement to any portion of your father's estate. Presumably, she's entitled to a share of her mother's estate, but we can't know that from here. If, for some bizarre reason, your father's estate wasn't settled a long time ago, then your stepmother's daughter may indirectly have an interest in your father's estate by virtue of having an interest in her mother's estate.

"Can I make a claim on her estate"

You can, but you wouldn't be entitled to anything unless she made a will and designated you as a beneficiary.

His wife, as surviving spouse, was entitled to a certain portion of his estate by law, and his estate may not have been large enough for anything that was left over and above that amount to be given to you. You can check his probate file at the county courthouse probate court to see how the entire estate was handled, just for your own information. Additionally you will need to consult with an attorney to see if you are owed anything from that estate (not very likely) or from his wife's.