twinkle64

% cap on Illinois estate

Dad died '08. I am the sole heir with four small gifts listed in the will. He had no real estate, no car ; a few utility bills to be paid. Basic assets were a few bank accounts which were passed directly to me, with the balance in stocks, which have not been changed into my name yet.

I have had a very difficult time getting the lawyer or executor to respond to my requests in a timely fashion. I have just been able to receive and verify information I requested back in September regarding expenses paid by the executor. I

I am now told since the stocks have gone up in value since Dad's date of death and because I have delayed signing off on paperwork until I received the requested info, that they are increasing the lawyer and executor fees.

Does anyone know what, if any, the % cap of estate value for Illinois that the lawyer is allowed to charge?

This has been very distressing, and I feel like I've had to put mourning my father aside to push thru this.

Thanks for any info.

.

It's unclear why his estate is still open, given what you describe. Could have been addressed within the first 6-9 months at the outside. though with the stock market at the time (you don't say when), it may have been wise to hold off on messing with those.

"I have had a very difficult time getting the lawyer or executor to respond to my requests in a timely fashion."

You don't say who the executor is, but you've been free all along to talk with your own attorney about filing a motion to compel distribution/settlement of the estate. The estate attorney doesn't work for you and doesn't have to talk with you, I'm afraid.

It's not up to you what the executor receives or the estate attorney receives; if you dispute that they've earned something and it required extra work (executor compensation by law may or may not be based on value at the time they take that compensation in your state; you'd have to ask a local probate attorney). The executor might also have made a deal with the estate attorney that his-her compensation would be based on value as well (though executor wouldn't have to agree to such a deal, unless compelled by law).

"Does anyone know what, if any, the % cap of estate value for Illinois that the lawyer is allowed to charge?"

No doubt someone knows, but if you mean someone reading this post, they may not. I do not, for instance.

"... I feel like I've had to put mourning my father aside to push thru this."

Sorry, but given when he died, this seems a bit remarkable.

×
×