Sign in to follow this  
coachpate7

Running or Jogging in Bike Route Lane

I have Lived In Honolulu Hawaii for over 30 years and was told by a Police Officer, today, that I could be cited for running (Jogging) in a bike lane that is located completely within a city park.

I have run on that same route for over 30 years with no mention from any law enforcement officer about running in that lane in the past.

Is there a law that prohibits runners from running in a bike lane (through a parking lot) in a park in Hawaii?

[This post has been

edited to remove personal or identifying information. -Moderator]

Guest FindLaw_Amir

coachpate7 said...

Is there a law that prohibits runners from running in a bike lane (through a parking lot) in a park in Hawaii?

Contacting your Local City Office regarding this subject matter would be your best bet.

Stay out of the bike lane! You might not have been in an accident in 30 years but you've probably caused plenty! The HRS section is 291C-76. The path is for "bicycles"! Bikes swerving into the road or onto the grass to avoid you running in their bike land have been in accidents and caused accidents. Run on the sidewalks, also stay out of the streets where there are verges or sidewalks.

coachpate7 said...

After further investigation, it turns out that the route in question is "NOT" a bike lane, but a "Bike Route"

and the lane is for runners and joggers. Bikes have full use of the roadway along that route, but the actual marked lane is for runners, according to the Dept of Parks and Recreation and the Dept of Transportation.

So, it appears the Police Officer was incorrect this time.

I cannot fathom how a jogger would be causing accidents unless a rider weren't paying attention; in this regard, should be utterly irrelevant whether or not someone's on a bike.

Guest FindLaw_Amir

coachpate7 said...

Did you resolve this issue?