Sign in to follow this  
MDupons

Police involvement after the fact

The emergency brake on my car did not hold and rolled into the back of another parked car in my apartment complex parking lot. The owner of the other vehicle is claiming damage to her vehicle and 2 days after the accident called the police and, without talking to me, issued a ticket which they left on the windshield of my vehicle. (The ticket was issued at 12:30 in the morning.)

My question is this...can the police issue a ticket for destruction of private property when the accident occurred on private property? And without getting my side of the story?? The other party is harrassing me and I am growing tired of this whole mess.

Sorry, I didn't realize that I hadn't mentioned either of those in the original post. Arlington, Texas. Gated apartment complex. Cited for reckless damage or destruction of property - a $252 ticket

Guest FindLaw_Amir

MDupons said...

My question is this...can the police issue a ticket for destruction of private property when the accident occurred on private property?

Did you resolve this issue?

Yes, thank you, I did resolve this. I took pictures of both vehicles and went to court prepared to defend myself. The city attorney dismissed the ticket due to the photographic evidence. There was no possible way that my vehicle could have caused the damage to the plaintiffs vehicle.