Sign in to follow this  
Ohgreat

property damage

I am curious because I have seen this very often. In Texas, if a motorist is hit by another vehicle driven by an illegal immigrant (with no insurance or license) what can the Insured-Legal US citizen and resident of Texas, do to compensation for the damaged property? And what will happen to the illegal immigrant, a slap on the wrist?

[This post has been moved to the appropriate forum - Moderator]

Hopefully the insured driver carries uninsured motorist coverage on their automotive insurance policy to defray any possible expenses.

The other alternative for recovery would be to sue the other driver, provided you can find and serve them. The other difficulty would be that even if you won a judgment against them, you might have a difficult time collecting (assuming they have assets) if they don't hold title to any property or don't have bank accounts, etc.

As far as criminal penalties for the other driver? I don't know the answer to that question. Presumably if the other driver engaged in some sort of illegal activity leading to the accident they could be prosecuted for that. It's also entirely possible they could be deported simply for illegal entry into the country.

Guest FindLaw_Amir

Ohgreat said...

And what will happen to the illegal immigrant, a slap on the wrist?

Did you resolve this issue?