Sign in to follow this  
NeedTranslation

Two-Way Left-Turn Lanes

California: V C Section 21460.5 Two Way Left Turn Lanes - Can someone clarify section © of this vehicle code for me?

V C Section 21460.5 Two Way Left Turn Lanes

Two-Way Left-Turn Lanes

21460.5. (a) The Department of Transportation and local authorities in their respective jurisdictions may designate a two-way left-turn lane on a highway. A two-way left-turn lane is a lane near the center of the highway set aside for use by vehicles making left turns in both directions from or into the highway.

(B) Two-way left-turn lanes shall be designated by distinctive roadway markings consisting of parallel double yellow lines, interior line dashed and exterior line solid, on each side of the lane. The Department of Transportation may determine and prescribe standards and specifications governing length, width, and positioning of the distinctive pavement markings. All pavement markings designating a two-way left-turn lane shall conform to the Department of Transportation's standards and specifications.

© A vehicle shall not be driven in a designated two-way left-turn lane except when preparing for or making a left turn from or into a highway or when preparing for or making a U-turn when otherwise permitted by law, and shall not be driven in that lane for more than 200 feet while preparing for and making the turn or while preparing to merge into the adjacent lanes of travel. A left turn or U-turn shall not be made from any other lane where a two-way left-turn lane has been designated.

(d) This section shall not prohibit driving across a two-way left-turn lane.

(e) Raised pavement markers may be used to simulate painted lines described in this section when such markers are placed in accordance with standards established by the Department of Transportation.

Amended Ch. 232, Stats. 1990. Effective January 1, 1991.

It seems really vague and it's going to determine who's at fault.

Thanks so much!

Guest FindLaw_Pierre

The language in the code is very specific and in my opinion clear.

You may only travel up to 200 ft. in that lane. Once you were to reach say 100 ft., it would be a good idea to just stop and wait till its clear to merge or turn. The law makes sense when you realize these lanes usually exist in high traffic commercial areas with a lot of driveway entrances. If people use up too much of that lane, then it impairs other drivers from being able to sue it.

What specifically about the language do you find vague or confusing?

If I speculate, I would say that you either drove too far while in that lane, or attempted to make a turn while not fully merging into that lane (i.e.: you were traveling in a direction and wanted to turn into a business driveway without properly using that lane).

It is a large subsection with a lot of language so you will have to be more specific.

Thanks.

Actually it looks pretty black-and-white to me. Here is what I am reading:

Where two-way turn lanes are provided:

The two-way left-hand turn lanes *must* be used for making a left turn off of a highway. Drivers should not be in the two-way left turn lane for more than 200 feet before making their left turn.

The two-way left-turn lanes *must* be used for making a left turn onto a highway. Drivers should not remain in the two-way left-turn lane for more than 200 feet before merging into the lanes of travel.

If driving in an area where U-turns are allowed, and a two-way left-turn lane is provided, drivers *must* use the two-way left turn lane to make the u-turn, and should not be in the two-way left-turn lane for more than 200 feet before making their u-turn.

Hope that helps.

I've got a question.

Person is on lane A (say going left) and wants to make a U turn into lane B (going right), where A and B are separated by a 2-way left turn lane. I've always thought the proper way is from Lane A merge into the 2-way left turn lane (the car is parallel with the yellow lines) and then performing a U turn into lane B

Does a person violate this law if: the person starts the U-turn from lane A, thus crossing the 2-way left turn lane perpendicular to the yellow lines, into lane B?

I'm focusing on the last sentence of V C Section 21460.5 © A left turn or U-turn shall not be made from any other lane where a two-way left-turn lane has been designated.

The rest of the subsection © talks about not using the 2-way turn lane unless preparing or making a left turn or U-turn, but I'm confused about the wording "from any other lane" in the last sentence of subsection ©.

many thanks for the help.

Guest FindLaw_Amir

NeedTranslation said...

It seems really vague and it's going to determine who's at fault.

Did you resolve this issue?