Sign in to follow this  
lydsophia

How to settle

Two years ago I was in a minor accident where I was on the off ramp of the freeway and stalled my car causing it to jump forward and bump the guy in front of me and in turn he bumped the guy in front of him. The Vehicle he bumped into had no damage and just took off but caused a minor dent in the hood of his car. My car had to damage either and he just had some paint chipped on the rear end where I bumped into him. I took pictures of it all for proof of any damage (or lack there of) i caused. I have always kept insurance coverage but just as luck had it unfortunately, I was on my my boyfriends insurance plan with his parents and his mom had cancelled it 2 weeks prior and never notified me about it so I was not covered at the time (the only 2 weeks I didnt have coverage in all my years of driving which sucks). The insured driver had a $500 out of pocket deductible he had to pay and since he took it to a b*** c*** c*** apparently the total cost was $3100. For such a minor bump I cant believe its that much especially after looking at pictures. Now his insurance company served me papers suing me for $3600. I can't risk getting a judgment against me and I have no assets and no money but want to try to settle. I understand paying the costs to reimburse the driver for his deductible but I am willing to sell my grandmothers pearls to try and settle this once in for all. How much do you think they would settle for so I can avoid a judgement?

[This post has been edited to remove personal or

identifying information. -Moderator]

What are the circumstances of the situation now? Do you have a car accident attorney representing you?

Frequently, insurance companies pursuing such a lawsuit also have a motivation to settle the case rather than going to court. The settlement amount varies depending upon the insurance company and the amount of damages sought after.

Good luck.

Its been 2 years now since the accident. No i dont have a lawyer right now. The insurance company is liberty mutual and the damages originally were 3100 but for some reason are now 3600. The deductible for the other driver was 500 out of pocket. I am wondering if they would settle for a lump sum of $1000