Sign in to follow this  
Guest Guest

pets and the elderly

Guest Guest

I am residing in a tax credit property where the lease says no pets. I have however been told that with a Doctor's note stating my need for my companion (cat - neutered and declawed) I can ignore the no pet clause because I am elderly and disabled. Is this a federal law or just a state law and where may I get a copy of this law? Thank You for your help.

"I have however been told that. . . ."

Told by whom? I would suggest that you inquire further of this person.

First of all, no such law exists at the federal level, and I would doubt that any state has such a law, but it is conceivable that certain localities might have such a law.

However, I doubt the application of the law would be contingent on having a doctor's note because I can't imagine that any competent doctor would write a "note" saying that a person "needs" a cat. For that matter, I don't really know what it would mean for a person to "need" a cat. Excepting guide dogs and other similar assistance animals, I can't imagine anyone could ever have a medical "need" for a pet, and that would be the only basis for a doctor to opine on that subject.

Pg1067's answer is way off on this one. If, because of a disability, you need a companion or emotional support animal to use and enjoy your housing, then, under federal fair housing law (The Fair Housing Amendments Act), the landlord would have to waive the no-pet rule as a reasonable accommodation. The following website has a fact sheet with the information you need: http://www.bazelon.org/issues/housing/infosheets/fhinfosheet6.html

It's likely that there is comparable law in your state.

Sign in to follow this