BeachTiger

Federal Restitution/Judgement Order

I have a judgement/restitution order from my federal felony conviction that is over 10 years old. I made monthly payments while on probation and for several years after. However, a couple of years ago, I quit receiving monthly statements from the U.S. Attorney's Office in regards to the judgement, but still continued to make payments. Last year, when I was laid off and money got tight, I stopped making payments and never heard anything. Two weeks ago, I received a letter from an insurance company referencing a bond number, a huge loss payout amount (1,400 times high than actual loss I was charged with#, and a demand for immediate payment of 1/6th of the stated loss amount #again much higher than actual loss I was charged with, much less reflecting any payments I've made or recovered monies since original offense#.

As a side note, it stated they had made several previous requests for reimbursement with no success and if I did not submit the request payment promptly, they would take legal action. I contacted the individual/company who sent the letter requesting dates of previous communications and they stated there weren't any, it was just an attempt to get me to contact them. However, their reply did let me know that they initiated their communication because they stopped receiving payments from the U.S. Attorney's office #since I had stopped paying). They also admitted that the balance they demanded for immediate payment was incorrect and reduced it to about 20% of what they originally requested. Besides all the FDCPA violations referenced above, the letter made no mention that its' purpose was to collect a debt either & they even admitted it was her first attempt to contact me! They then stated the U.S. Attorney's office would be in contact with me.

Today I received a U.S. Department of Justice Administrative Offset Notice from the U.S. Attorney's Office in reference to the judgement. I thought that the judgement order had to be renewed after so many years and if it wasn't renewed, there wasn't any course of action...is this not the case? The case originated in 1998. Can they really wait 12 years to take Administrative Offset action? Do federal judgements never expire?

Federal criminal restitution orders don't expire until the amount has been paid in full. Further, if not paid in full at the time of the death of the defendant, their estate can be attached for any unpaid balance as well.

×
×