Sign in to follow this  
draggeddown

holding title

I live in northern california. I used to own property along with brother and his wife as tenants in common.

Then later I quit claimed deed (my 1/2 interest) tp my brother during a re finance. His wife quitclaimed also. Then some years later my brother quit claimed deed to her and made her sole owner. Then a couple of years later they needed money and she quit claimed 1/2 of her interest to me. My question., how is title held now.? Only she and I are on title. Thank you, I hope this is enough info to be answered.

draggeddown

Unless this is a trick question, you and your brother's wife own one half interest each.

You are tenants in common unless you agreed to something else. Each owns an undivided interest in the property (50%). Neither party can exclude the other from the property. If one of you dies, that person's interest passes on to his/her heirs (in the absence of a will) or devisees (if there is one). If you wanted out, you might file a partition action and let a court decide how to split the property or sell it and split the proceeds. Hope this answers your question.