Sign in to follow this  
scorpiogirl

paying taxes to park owners

Hi there, I am trying to find out why my landlady is charging everyone taxes in the trailer park I live in, Jackson, Tn area. She owns the land the trailer sits on, I only rent the spot from her each month, and every year SHE tells me how much taxes are, and what the amount is. I never get anything from the courthouse, but a neighbor told me she's going to the courthouse to pay hers. Can you tell me if this is legal? I get the feeling the landlady is charging all the tenants taxes for HER property land taxes..(we all own our homes, but again, not the land it sits on) Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I have no idea why your landlady is charging people taxes, or why you'd pay it. Your lot rent should be your lot rent, and that's that. You don't say why you'd think you would owe more than your rent (which of course may or may not have built into it certain costs).

You need to read up on your state's landlord tenant info as it relates to mobile home (?) parks. (Not clear whether "trailer"/RV park is what you're referring to, however.) If you cannot locate those, then the tenants may want to consult with a local real estate attorney.

Under Tennessee law when a movable structure is put on a foundation, connected to a utility service etc. it is considered an improvement to the land and property tax can be assessed to the movable structure. Further, ... "where the movable structures are attached to land occupied and used as trailer or mobile home parks where the owner of the land is renting spaces or lots for maintaining the movable structures, the owner of the movable structures shall be responsible for the additional tax imposed by reason of the improvement, and the owner of the land shall be granted a lien against the movable structure to secure the payment of the municipal and county taxes." Tennessee Code Annotated 67-5-802.

You can read the section in its entirety here. (Select Title 67 Taxes and Licenses, Chapter 5 Property Taxes, Part 8 - Classification and Assessments - Real Property).

In a nutshell, it is legal for the landlord to collect property tax for the improvement value that your mobile home imparts to the land. It can be collected once a year or on a monthly basis. And if unpaid, the landlord can secure a lien against the movable structure, and if the landlord sues the mobile home owner for reimbursement of tax paid, and prevails, the mobile home owner might have to pay the cost of suit and reasonable attorney fees, in addition to the taxes.

Good luck.