Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

WA State Accident Fault, Damages

2 posts in this topic

In King county, WA, I was involved in a 2-car accident. I was at a single-lane stop sign preparing to turn right, but a large amount of broken glass in the road was obstructing a normal tight turn, and I had to move forward into the road in order to turn around the glass. I proceeded straight into the roadway, with my right turn signal on, and made the right turn.

As I was completing my turn, and straightening my front wheels, I was struck by another vehicle turning right onto the roadway. The other vehicle had proceeded from the same stop sign as I had, and was behind me, but drove over the glass, into the road and into my vehicle. The other vehicle's front left impacted my right rear wheel and fender, pushing me a foot or so to the left.

I pulled over to sort it out with the other driver, but he didn't stop, so I pulled back into the road to try to stop him, or at least get the license of the vehicle. I got the needed information and returned home to call a county deputy to make an accident report. Both the deputy and I were unable to discern any damage except to the fender, so an accident report was not filed, however I did get an incident report number. As I first thought that the damage was not great, I planned to forget the matter.

It was later determined that significant damage had occurred and my vehicle had to go to a shop for an estimate. Because of the damage, I had to have some repairs made in order to drive the car, but not all repairs were made.

I have been in contact with the insurance co. representing the other driver, but all they've offerred is 50 % of damages. Now I'm forced to file in small claims court to try to recover damages.

I feel that I was not at fault, that I was in the roadway before the other driver left the stop line, and that I had the right-of-way. I feel I was taking due care by steering around the glass to enter the lane, and that the other driver was negligent in entering the roadway.

I have very limited funds, so even a filing fee is a hardship, but I feel that I should do everything I can to recover my losses, which will be around 2000-2500.

Should I proceed to small claims court? Should I contact the other driver to see if he will pay my damages, thus avoiding court? Should I obtain the help of an attorney?

I'm just lost in all of this.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0