Sign in to follow this  
rocklyn

case number

Being contacted by an attorney, J** S****, concerning a case filed against me. The case # is 10312, but I have no clue as to what this concerns. I was involved in a car vs bicycle accident, but the bicyclist ran thru a red light and hit my vehicle. Report was filed, i had to pay out of my pocket to have my vehicle repaired, but no citations were issued as I was not at fault. I would just like to know how to look up a case number to find out what this is all about.

Generally, nothing can be kicked off, legally, until you have been served with notice of a lawsuit. An attorney contacting you is not enough and you might not want to talk to this attorney until you know what is going on.

If the papers have been filed with the court but you have not been served the papers yet, then the case may not show up on the court's docketing system for public viewing until that happens. So, having a case number may be of limited or no use. Finally, each court (county, state, federal) has a different way of operating/managing/classifying it's docket. The case number by itself may not be sufficient information to view the details with. Check your county court's website for more information.

Good luck!

"Being contacted by an attorney, J** S****, concerning a case filed against me. The case # is 10312, but I have no clue as to what this concerns."

I'm not sure what the first part of this means. How are you "being contacted"? Were you served with a summons and complaint? Did you receive a letter or phone call from the lawyer? Did you actually speak with him? Something else? If you were served with a complaint, the complaint should explain what the case is about, and one would assume that a letter would also explain it. If you talked with the lawyer and didn't know why, one would assume you'd have asked.

"I was involved in a car vs bicycle accident, but the bicyclist ran thru a red light and hit my vehicle."

That you claim the cyclist ran a red light doesn't preclude him from suing you.

"I would just like to know how to look up a case number to find out what this is all about."

You can go down to the clerk's office at the courthouse and ask to review the case file. Whether there are other options available to you obviously depends on what state you're in and in what court in that state the case was filed.