Sign in to follow this  
ollie201930

magazine liability

Is a magazine required by law to obtain the authorization from parents of a person under the age of 18 to use their name in print? And what are the ramifications of using the name without authorization and also using a statement from another media source and twisting the context of the statement?

Guest Guest

There is no law that requires a magazine in all instances to get permission from a parent before putting a minor's name in print. If you explain in some more detail what the magazine did (no need to use actual names though) we might be able to offer some information on whether the magazine did anything legally wrong.

"Is a magazine required by law to obtain the authorization from parents of a person under the age of 18 to use their name in print?"

Unless the magazine is using the person's name for a purely commercial purpose, no.

"And what are the ramifications of using the name without authorization and also using a statement from another media source and twisting the context of the statement?"

As my prior response should make clear, the answer to the first part of your question is, generally, none. As for the second part of this question, I have no idea what you're talking about. News media twists things all the time. If you explain the situation a little better, I might be able to offer some more information.

There was a sentence in the article saying that the minor was included in with a group of teens, when the actual statement was that a group of teens were involved in something, not said minor. I can't really go into more detail, but I think that constitutes a misquote??????

"Misquote" means that person A did not accurately restate what person B told person A. Absent something more, misquotes don't give rise to any legal claim. Unless you want to be less vague about what happened, there isn't anything more anyone here can tell you.