Jump to content


  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About rockmehardplace

  • Rank

Recent Profile Visitors

1,710 profile views
  1. But you do have a criminal record--you are guilty of having committed a misdemeanor. If the allegations were unfounded, it is difficult for me to understand why you would plead guilty, but I suppose it was a gamble that you could have been found guilty of worse crimes. Not to make light of your predicament, but those old newspaper articles appear to be accurate, and one could hardly blame a prospective employer or business colleague for hesitating to put you in a position of trust. I might have more sympathy for your plight if you were found not guilty of any crime(s), but my only recommended strategy for you would be to spend the balance of your life doing good for others, and perhaps one day when you die your misdemeanor offense will be but a footnote in your life's story. Your 45 scientific articles are a start toward this end.
  2. When you said the paper had an opportunity to correct the original article, but instead “double downed,” what does that mean?
  3. What exactly is slanderous about the article(s)? Repeating allegations and printing a mugshot are reporting facts. You say your ex-wife made false accusations against you, the university investigated that matter, you resigned and were paid nearly 100K in settlement. Then you say you were arrested "for the same issue" a year later. This time, the police took your mugshot and you pled guilty to a lesser offense. If you pled guilty to a misdemeanor theft, you admitted that you stole less than $300, so how are your ex-wife's accusations false? Are you quibbling about the value/amount deemed lost or stolen? I don't know what you mean by "[they] just doubled down." It seems to me this could have been avoided if your attorney had issued a press release that the parties had entered into a settlement agreement, the terms of which are confidential, and that no criminal charges were filed and no restitution was sought. If the paper is saying that you were convicted of some offense greater than misdemeanor theft-third, then hire an attorney to sue for damages. If the paper is merely rehashing old news, there's not a lot to do about that. Many people still believe Wayne Williams to be the "Atlanta Child Killer," but he was convicted only for killing two adults.
  4. rockmehardplace

    post-conviction relief 2yrs later

    One or more of your three attorneys should advise you on how to proceed. They are certainly more familiar with your circumstances than anonymous strangers on the internet.
  5. rockmehardplace

    post-conviction relief 2yrs later

    Burglary, domestic assault and battery, felonious assault, public intoxication, etc. and you want to go home with your babies? Even if you were wrongfully convicted of these charges, you've displayed poor judgment and a pattern of being in the wrong place at the wrong time on multiple occasions, and "this" should damage your child custody battle, because it is a consequence of your behaviour and bad choices. If anything has "slipped through the cracks," it is your children's well-being. You didn't say whether you were trying to get your conviction(s) set aside or expunged. You could consult with an attorney who handles criminal matters about this, but even if those are viable options, that would take a lot of money to get records, reports and transcripts, and it would be difficult to overcome what you have already knowingly pleaded guilty to. You asked for suggestions for a course of action and a gentle nudge: Get counseling for you and your family to see if can overcome your cycle and history of violence. Get training in a vocation so you can support yourself and your family.
  6. rockmehardplace

    Where can I find every revised and updated law?

    You can Google "child support guidelines" for New Jersey and "retroactive child support New Jersey" for some information, but it's best to seek the guidance of an attorney in these matters. This is a calculator to estimate a child support obligation: http://quickguide.njchildsupport.org/
  7. rockmehardplace

    Unable to fulfill court-ordered financial obligations

    No one can say with any certainty what will happen at your court hearing; we don’t know all of the facts, and we certainly don’t know the judge and what his/her idiosyncrasies are. You say you wouldn’t dare go up against “that woman” but it isn’t clear to me if “that woman” refers to the judge or opposing counsel. At any rate, I would start preparing for your hearing. You’ve stated that you’ve provided a lot of documentation, but the judge probably has hundreds of domestic cases on his/her docket and will certainly not know/remember all the details as well as you. Come to the hearing prepared to show whatever is at issue. Be patient and hold your emotions in check. Was there an order issued by the court about the 33/70% split? First of all, that exceeds 100% and second of all, I do think that “switch” is worth mentioning. If a previous order set the percentages each party was to pay, then you could point out that the subsequent order should be amended to reflect the percentages previously put into place. Anyway, it is not proper for an attorney to engage in subterfuge, but you don’t have to allege that—just that you are trying to follow rulings already in place. You may wish to call your former bankruptcy attorney and ask for guidance about your financial situation. I also recommend that you read Dave Ramsey’s “The Total Money Makeover.” Your local library probably has a copy. Yes, I know you work several jobs, but read it on your lunch break or something. The principles of that book can help you put your finances on track. Good luck to you.
  8. rockmehardplace

    Unable to fulfill court-ordered financial obligations

    Your attorney needs to bring this to the court's attention pronto. You've raised a lot of issues here, and I'm sure I won't be able to address all of them. I do understand that you are in dire straits, but you need to stop getting cash advances on your credit card(s) because you are digging yourself into a very deep hole. Can you take in a roommate? Can you move in with a family member until you get your head above water? Can you get a second job or look for a better-paying job? If your attorney has withdrawn from your case, you may have to get help from a local legal aid society, and I'm certain they will want to see evidence of your financial need.
  9. You will have to find your own attorney by clicking on the "Find a Lawyer" link on the top of the page.
  10. rockmehardplace

    harassment by hoa members

    Just remember the "clean hands" doctrine: Your son, a user of an illegal substance, cannot go into court and expect to be compensated for "harassment" by neighbors who don't want to tolerate it. Possibly his neighbors are also documenting every incident of his illegal acts. They may, in turn, seek legal counsel to assist them in their quest for the quiet enjoyment of their homes.
  11. rockmehardplace

    Question about Security Deposit

    What does your lease say about your security deposit? It seems to me that before trying to sell the house or re-rent the house, the management company would have "refreshed" the paint and replaced the carpet anyway. The paint would seem to fall under normal wear and tear. If the quality of the carpet was poor, and depending on the traffic patterns of the house, I would agree with you that after eleven years it was probably due to be replaced. Did you take pictures of the house just before you vacated so you can demonstrate what it looked like? It would have been a good idea at the time you spoke with the owner of the property management company about not painting to follow up with a quick email along the lines of, "Just wanted to confirm our conversation today that I will not be spackling the nail holes or painting the house at your direction," or something like that. It takes just a minute to send an email and you have a time and date-stamped record of that. You could have used your phone to make a video of the premises, too. The property management might have attorneys ready to fight for them, but of course they are not permitted to have attorneys in small claims court, and they would have to come up with much more in the way of damages to have it removed from small claims court to a district court matter. Eight hundred dollars is a lot of money to me, but hardly worth it for an attorney to get involved.
  12. rockmehardplace

    harassment by hoa members

    By your own admission, your son has not been prescribed marijuana for his anxiety/stomach issues, so he is in fact breaking the law. When you suggest he would be treated differently if he had cancer and was prescribed marijuana, you are comparing apples to oranges. For what reason can the HOA take your son to court? Why are they not accepting his payments for special assessments? Even in states where medical marijuana is permitted, marijuana is still a controlled substance under federal statute, and violations of federal law are still investigated and in come cases prosecuted by federal agencies.
  13. rockmehardplace

    Money in Escrow Account Missing

    You and your sister are presumptive heirs of your parents, and therefore your interests are not synonymous with your parents' interests. What does the agreement say about what elements have to be in place for the agreement to be considered null and void? By your reasoning, the former purchase agreement would be null and void because the house is for sale, but that would hardly make sense. Are your parents still living and competent to manage their own affairs? Why did they not pursue this? Why do I sense that they are gone and you are now actively pursuing the return of this money only because it would benefit you and your sister?
  14. rockmehardplace

    Amendment to will

    You may not like to hear it, but you and your boyfriend are not married, so you don't have any standing. It doesn't matter that you've been together for a million years. You can support him emotionally, financially or both, but you cannot join in on any action he may have. I second what pg1067 said: Find an attorney whose terms for payment you can agree on. You may have to go to an attorney outside of the county where his parents resided but surely there must be a reputable attorney who can help you. You use terms like "executors" and "estate" and "trust" interchangeably, but executors or personal representatives manage probate estates and trustees manage trusts. There are a lot of things in your story that seem not credible: Your belief that there is some vast conspiracy to defraud your fiancé his share of his parents' estate and that an attorney would charge a 50% contingency fee to fight for your fiancé's share are among the things that come to mind. You may want to check with the California Bar Association and see if they can offer assistance in finding an attorney who will work pro bono for your fiancé or perhaps a newer attorney with some experience in litigation who charges a reasonable rate. That you have talked to a lot of attorneys and can't find help suggests to me that there is something about your background (along with your fiancé's) that suggests to the attorney that he/she will not get paid, hence they are requiring a huge contingency fee or very high retainer fee.
  15. rockmehardplace

    Parking Lot Collision - horn honk would have avoided

    It could be that the other driver didn't have time to honk his horn. You don't identify what state you're in, but most states have laws that prohibit a person from backing out unless it can be done safely and without interfering with other traffic. It sounds like a low speed impact--how much is the other driver seeking from you?