Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Everything posted by RetiredinVA

  1. If the Board of Directors were to pass a resolution firing the treasurer and appointing a new treasurer, and the president were to provide a certified true copy of the resolution to the bank, I think it would be highly likely the bank would shut down access to the account by the old treasurer immediately.
  2. A president, secretary, or treasurer are officers of a corporation and are not necessarily members of the Board of Directors. It all depends on the by-laws. As we always say here, no one can give an intelligent answer who has not read the actual documents.
  3. If you and your husband have been separated for more than a year and there are no issues of property, spousal support, custody and visitation of the existing child, I suspect you can get a divorce very quickly. South Carolina requires the partners to discuss reconciliation with a master or referee. However, that can happen very quickly if the referee cooperates. I have not practiced in South Carolina but in Virginia I have been able to get a divorce for a client in 24 hours.* To do so you will certainly need the assistance of an attorney who knows the clerks, judges, referees, and sheriff so the preparation of the necessary documents by the lawyer and the clerk, service by the sheriff, referral to a commissioner, master or referee, hearing of the case, preparation of the report, and entry of the final decree can be expedited. Of course your husband will be required to cooperate fully. Expect to pay the attorney handsomely for stopping all other work and walking everything through for you. If the birth is not imminent you can proceed at a more leisurely pace. Good luck. _________________________________________________ *The gentleman was due to get married on Saturday and it occurred to him ,on Wednesday, that he had forgotten to get divorced from his first wife. His first wife was glad to see him go.
  4. Obviously refers to something that happened in the past. It refers only to the disclosure of assets that existed at the time of the statement. If I understand your prior posts, your claim is on some future income stream. That is not, an assets that existed at the time of the statement. I concur that you have posted the same question three or four times now. Stop opening new threads with the same issues.
  5. It might be considered a business necessity if it is a requirement of the comp carrier.
  6. When does your lease terminate? When your lease ends you are entitled to get your deposit back. When your lease terminates it is up to the landlord to obtain a deposit from the new tenant at that time.
  7. If I were you I wouldn't shop there.
  8. You would think that would be the case. But the claim can be overcome by a claim of condonation. That is, the husband knew the affair was going on and took no action. There is also recrimination - the husband was doing the same thing. In Virginia at least the Supreme Court has held that adultery after s, a significant period of separation is not a ground for a fault based divorce. More often than not the divorce court will, sometimes sua sponte, convert the adultery based divorce to a no fault divorce when the statutory perod has passed.
  9. In South Carolina, adultery can be a bar to spousal support. However, it is usually necessary to prove adultery occurred by actual evidence that sexual relationships occurred at specific times and places. Therefore, divorces on the basis of adultery are seldom successful.
  10. You reported the incident to the police. They arrested her. If the case goes to trial you will probably receive a subpoena ordering you to appear and testify. If you recant you can be arrested for filing a false report to the police. If you do not appear for the hearing you can be arrested for contempt of the subpoena, which is a court order. Neither the police nor the judges are happy about lovers using their powers because of angry outbreaks. Yes you should tell the girl's boyfriend about the photo.
  11. Yes, you can report it to the police. Then it is up to the police to decide how to proceed.
  12. What is an "electrodiagnostic baseline system" and why did the company decide such an exam was necessary? The only type of test that comes to mind is a lie detector test. How is the alleged examination a "financial based examination"? Is the company being paid for the employee's participation?
  13. Actionable discriminaion has to be based on a protected class or status, such as race, religion, sex, national origin, etc. A health care provider is allowed to decline specific treatment to a class of patients, such as new patients. Indeed, that is the new norm. You may be aware that NSAIDS, like ibuprofen, have been demonstrated to provide equal or greater pain relief compared to opioids.
  14. The basic concept is that a listing of real property for sale is a solicitation of offers. Because of the statute of frauds (google it) a contract for the sale or purchase of real property is only valid if it is witnessed by a writing containing the signature of the party charged with complying with the contract. (I know there are exceptions so please don't flame me) Sales of other types property are regulated by other, usually more lenient and permissive rules, like the Uniform Commercial Code. What it boils down to is that real estate is considered, and has been considered, a special form of property for the thousands of years of legal thought. I might point out that a legitimate offer at the listed price may result in the seller owing the real estate agent his or her commission if the offer is rejected.
  15. Sorry, I didn't notice the "born in 1969" part of the question.
  16. You had American citizenship when you were born because your father was an American citizen. However, your parents must file a Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America (CRBA) to document your citizenship. See: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/while-abroad/birth-abroad.html for further details. You are also entitled to American citizenship if you are under 18 years and were adopted by and live with an American citizen. See https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/Intercountry-Adoption/Adoption-Process/how-to-adopt/us-citizenship-for-your-child.html
  17. The landlord has the obligation to maintain the property in habitable condition. ORE. 90.320. But the remedy for not maintaining the premises in habitable condition is termination of the lease. ORE 90.360. It is not clear that a damaged garage would constitute an issue if habitability. It is only minor defects that allow the tenant to repair and withhold, minor being repairs costing less the $300. ORE 90.368. If the tenant decides to repair and withhold, however, the tenant must abide by an extensive list of notice requirements. 90.368.
  18. In your other post you said your home also has holes in the roof, large holes in the floor, and leaky windows and doors. Now, you also have a collapsed garage roof. It sounds like it is time to move on. In the other post you did not mention that you had lived in the place ten years. Did all this just start recently?
  19. why would you move into a place like that? If you report the problems to code inforcement, it is possible they will condemn the place and you will be out in the street. Your first step is to give the landlord written notice of the need for repair. Keep a copy of the written notice. If the repairs are not made you can either move out or repair and deduct the cost of the repair from the rent. However, in Oregon you may not deduct more than $300 for the repair. It doesn't sound as if you have less than $300 in repair costs ahead of you. See if there is a landlord-tenant office in your locality for further assistance.
  20. You have consulted five lawyers who have given you five different answers. It would be pointless for anyone to give you a sixth opinion. It doesn't sound as if you have actually retained any lawyer but have gone from one to another seking "the truth." At some point you need to put cash on the table and hire an attorney. Shopping for better answers is a waste of time. Yes, you can be awarded spousal support. Yes, it can be difficult to collect it if the bulk of your husband's income is from sources that cannot be garnished. However, if support is awarded and your husband fails to pay, he can be incarcerated until he wises up. A settlement agreement can be negotiated until the moment the judge rules or one or the other parties dies. Judges will regularly order the parties to go out in the hall and settle this during the trial unti further negotiation is futile, Judges hate to rule in divorce cases. In my experience, and based on the rulings of the Virginia courts, I need to advise you that a divorce is seen as a division of dollars, present and future . The number of skirts a party chases or catches is irrelevant , absent extreme waste of marital assets during the chase. If there is a sizeable local bar association, find out who is the chairman of the domestic relations committee. Hire him or her and listen to him or her. Stop listening to your friends and neighbors who claim to know exactly what will happen in your case because something happened in their cousin's case in Missouri in1997.
  21. The posts to which you refer ended in 2012. Why would you think it would be illegal for a convicted felon to be a confidential informant? A confidential informant is anyone who provides information to law enforcement agencies. Convicted felons are probably the best source of such informarion.
  22. Your can contact your state delegates and senator but as of now, your cousin's father (and the lawyers representing the estate of course) is the only one who can benefit from the suit. Unfortunately, as the court appointed administrator you are required to prosecute the suit on behalf of your cousin's father. You will be entitled to a commission as administrator.
  23. If they could have "easily detained" you that sort of defeats any claim you might have against the institution for false arrest. In point of fact, when you punched the administrator you demonstrated that you were a danger to others. Perhaps they should not have let you leave.
  24. I assume the poster is named as a beneficiary in her cousins will and has been appointed executor of her cousin's estate. I am sure she realizes that under Iowa law, only the decedent's spouse, children, parents and beneficiaries of the decedent's estate can recover damages for the wrongful death. If the decedent was not married, had no children, and didn't have a will then the only person who can be awarded damages for the wrongful death would be his "sperm donor."
  • Create New...