Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  1. I just received divorce papers from spouse who resides in Katy, Texas and I live in Connecticut. Spouse and I entered into an informal marriage at the Harris County clerk's office in 2010. Spouse had moved to Connecticut in November of 2012 and moved back to Katy, TX in April 2013. Since then, spouse and I have been separated (not legally). The divorce papers state that there is to be no contact with spouse or child and that I have to appear in Texas at court in December. My question is: do I have to show or can I submit something in writing, especially since I cannot make it to Texas. I would prefer to handle the issues of divorce through an attorney in Connecticut instead of Texas. Is this way best?
  2. Does it also mean that after 18 months the charge never existed, especially if the individual keeps themselves out of trouble?
  3. What is an 18 month unconditional discharge?
  4. Thank you so much! I will definitely tell my friend to consult with a Texas family attorney.
  5. The state of Texas recognizes "informal" marriages. It is the same thing as common law. Both individuals went down to the county clerk's office and registered into this informal marriage. After researching this further and since it is a legal marriage and my friend is living in another state, my friend has to file for a divorce in the residing state. Thanks for the feedback.
  6. Texas does allow couples to enter into an informal (common law) marriage. The informal marriage was entered by them both registering down at the county clerk's office. It was then considered a legal marriage. After some research, I have found out that since my friend lives in another state, the divorce proceedings would have to take place in my friend's residing state. Thank you for your feedback.
  7. I do not think that my friend fully understood exactly what the attorney meant when the judge put the offer out there of 18 months unconditional discharge. The attorney explained to my friend that there would be no probation, no sentencing or going back to court, but that my friend would have to remain out of trouble for at least the 18 months. I am trying to understand this myself, so this is why I am asking. If after 18 months, does the misdemeanor charges disappear or do they remain forever on record?
  8. A friend of mine entered into an informal marriage in the state of Texas. My friend never lived there, but the other person did. However, the other person left Texas to be with the spouse (my friend), who lived in another state. Since the two of them are no longer together -- the other person moved back to Texas while my friend remains in the other state. My friend wants to end this informal marriage. How does one go about doing this, especially if my friend is not living or have ever lived in the state of Texas? The state that my friend lives in does not recognize informal marriages, so does my friend have to go to Texas to seek a divorce or is this something that can be done in my friend's residing state?
  9. A friend of mine who resides in Connecticut was recently given an 18 month unconditional discharge offer with two counts of misdemeanor. My friend's attorney stated that this means it is like an unsupervised probation. How is this an unsupervised probation if it does not require one to meet, on a regular, with a probation officer? What is this offer really stating? What happens after the 18 months?
  • Create New...