Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Everything posted by adjusterjack

  1. For the unpaid rent, not for the loss of the home. It would have been up to the owner to enforce the rental agreement while alive. If he didn't, there might not be an actionable claim for rent (laches).
  2. Plan documents. Memos. Correspondence. Anything that might make your benefits a contractual obligation of the employer. You might also talk to an attorney who specializes in ERISA, the federal law regarding retirement plans. Seems to me that there must be something that protects you from losing benefits that you have already acquired. I could be wrong.
  3. The best answer should come from the disability agency. However, my guess is that he not file a second claim until the WC doctor releases him for work. Then, if he can't work because he is not yet recovered from the surgery, it would be time to file the second claim. Again, that's just my guess. Bob needs to confirm that independently of strangers on the internet.
  4. Yes. Takes a few minutes on the IRS website. https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/how-to-apply-for-an-ein Yes, if the house was solely in your Dad's name. No, if the house was owned jointly with right of survivorship. Read the deed. Only your Mom can answer that question. Were you paying the mortgage company or your Mom? If you were paying the mortgage company properly, the house shouldn't have gone to foreclosure. No. It belongs to your Dad's estate, which appears to need probate before you get anything. You can check with the probate court to see if probate was opened at some point. If it was, the will should be in the case file. If it wasn't you can open probate under intestacy and you may be able to claim a share of his estate, if there is anything worth claiming.
  5. To you or to current employees? That's the first question. Check it to see if you misunderstood something. If, indeed, they are discontinuing your benefits, you will need a thorough review of any documents issued by the employer regarding the retirement benefits. Obviously, we can't do that from here.
  6. You try re-reading it. Your questions: Followed this: And you called your children's behavior the "major issues." So I addressed your "major issues."
  7. Yes, I have lots of experience with something like that. It's called disciplining your children. You should try it. There's no excuse for their behavior when they are home alone. Since you are the custodial parent and they live there, there is plenty of punishment you can dish out. As long as you accept the behavior unchallenged you have nothing to complain about. PS: Nothing wrong with your ex dropping your kids off when you aren't home. They are certainly old enough to be on their own.
  8. Obviously, they can because they did. Sorry, but you made the mistake of relying on what you were told on the phone without verifying it by reading your 401(k) plan and loan documents. The loan repayment requirement is based on the IRS 401(k) rules. I doubt it.
  9. Sorry, didn't read it. But if you want to know the criteria for determining if you are IC or employee, the IRS website has lots of information and will also assist you in determining which one you were. https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/independent-contractor-defined https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/independent-contractor-self-employed-or-employee https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/employee-or-independent-contractor-know-the-rules
  10. What were your reasons for buying into an HOA? I'm wondering what was so attractive to you that you willingly gave up your freedom to use your property as you wished.
  11. You're not. "Indefinite unpaid leave" means you've been laid off, fired, canned, given the axe. It's also a scam that employers pull so that naïve people don't file for unemployment compensation. You've already lost a great deal of money by believing it. File now. You should have been looking for another job from the getgo. That you haven't gotten any answers speaks volumes. Nobody wants it.
  12. Signal Hill, I see that the link I posted is no good. Try the following link and click on "View Code." https://www.amlegal.com/codes/client/signal-hill_ca/ The abandoned vehicle code refers to a "city abatement officer" whoever that may be. Up to the poster to figure out who that is.
  13. You are trying very hard to make this the crime of the century and the perpetrator public enemy number one. Neither is the case. It's a violation of Signal Hill's (if that's where you live) city ordinances. See Title 10 Chapter 10.46 and learn what you can do about it. http://library.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/California/signal_hill_ca/cityofsignalhillcaliforniamunicipalcode?f=templates$fn=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:signalhill_ca
  14. Have no idea. Still don't know what happened. If you aren't comfortable with posting the information all I can suggest is that you consult an attorney and review your options. Consults are often free.
  15. Your post is incomprehensible until you tell us what happened to you. Details count. And it's HIPAA, not HIPPA. This is HIPPA: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippa
  16. Yes. The loss was due to your negligence: leaving the doors unlocked with the store unattended. I suggest you schedule your potty breaks throughout the day and lock the doors for a few minutes when you go.
  17. Sure it's legal. Would you rather be held in jail pending trial? There's still that option.
  18. He has no obligation to use his insurance. Give me a break. A life changing injury? But no medical treatment? Sue him. Trouble is that you have no monetary damages to sue for. Maybe a small claims judge will award you $100 for that picture but that's about it. You haven't won the lawsuit lottery.
  19. Sorry, but it just got more complicated. As Tenants in Common Mom and Dad were not a single entity that owned an undivided 74% of the condo. The each owned an undivided 37% of the condo. When Dad died his share passed to his heirs unless he had a will specifying that his share pass into the trust (or to your Mom). Unfortunately, since your parents' shares were not owned by the trust, Dad's share will have to be probated and his interest conveyed by his estate to whoever or whatever was specified in his will. If he died without a will then his share gets divided among his heirs under intestacy but still has to be probated. Intestate succession depends on your state which you haven't revealed yet. But, generally, the surviving spouse and children share. What should have happened is that the property should have been conveyed to the trust after the three of you bought it and you got your mortgage. You could have each been beneficiaries and trustees of the trust so that, upon each death, the ownership was conveyed exactly as you intended. So, next question. Did your Dad have a will and what does it say about the condo? If it says nothing about the condo what does it say about unspecified or "residuary" property? And what state is the property located in?
  20. Maybe not all. If Mom and Dad owned their interest jointly with right of survivorship (written that way on the deed) then Mom's interest automatically became 74% when Dad died. So let's start there. Read the deed and report back on exactly how the ownership is written. Don't rely on memory, read it.
  21. Shouldn't be too tough to figure out. Your lot (42) is 155' deep. Measure from your back fence to the front. If 155' stops at the entrance to your circular driveway then, no, you don't own the street. And if your deed's legal description matches the lot that you bought then there are no rights and no resolution because you made erroneous assumptions when you bought the house. You could have figured this out before you made the offer.
  22. Yes, unfortunately. CA is a community property state. I imagine you did not get a written separation agreement and probably didn't have a lawyer who could have gotten you a divorce without her signature. Better get a lawyer now.
  23. Only one comment. You were so obviously in over your head from the getgo that you should have had an attorney. My guess is that your appeal filing was botched as well.
  24. See if there is a local legal aid office or tenant rights organization in your city. One way or the other you will have to go to court and get a judge to compel the landlord to allow you to get your property back.
  • Create New...