Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by FindLaw_John

  1. In the future, I would suggest posting a very BRIEF description with a few direct legal questions at the end - that should help elicit more responses from the community. If you're seeking the assistance of an attorney, consider using FindLaw's Lawyer Directory to contact a few. Many of the lawyers listed even offer free consultations, so there's no harm in making a few calls. Best of luck.
  2. spaz77 said... Is this in fact the only recourse I have? Perhaps. If you're asking about medical malpractice I would suggest you read some of the materials covering the subject available here at FindLaw to get an idea of what an actionable claim would be. spaz77 said... Also, is the landlord at fault for not having the proper tempered glass in the door? Again, possibly. You'd need to ask this question of a personal injury attorney (who could also probably answer any questions concerning medical malpractice) who's got a handle on all the facts and is familiar with your unnamed state's laws.
  3. I'm not familiar with the laws in Washington, but I'd say if you were furnishing, selling, or serving the alcohol you would definitely need to consider some potential liability. Simply allowing members to consume it on the premises, however, I don't know that would result in liability for the club. I'd recommend speaking with a Washington business attorney who should be able to review the state of the law and make you aware of any potential risks. You might also find it helpful to review some of the materials on premises liability here on FindLaw. You can find and speak with a Washington business attorney by taking advantage of the free consultations that many lawyers listed in the FindLaw Directory offer. Best of luck.
  4. Were you convicted or were you in jail awaiting trial?
  5. Abuse and neglect are pretty broad terms and can encompass a lot of things. Depending on what happened and what crimes took place, there may or may not be statutes of limitation that would preclude such action (both civil and criminal). You can review Tennessee's civil and criminal statutes of limitation here on FindLaw. From there you can get an idea of what might still be able to be dealt with.
  6. navy1952 said... I was wondering what type of time will I be getting with a 3 year and 6 month sentence over my head? Well, if your probation is revoked you could be looking at spending up to the entirety of your original sentence in prison. No guarantee that it'll happen, but it's a possibility. You might want to consider consulting with a local criminal defense attorney for advice.
  7. onlyjah said... what is the name of the new law that they are trying to pass in new jersey regarding inmates who were sentenced under the 85% law? where would we send a petition to try and stop it and how many signatures would we need? I'm unaware of such a law. But you're welcome to search the current bills at the NJ Legislature's website. You can also search for and find your legislative representatives - from there you can call and write them with your opinions on such matters.
  8. qoessr said... Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm not entirely clear what it is that you're asking for? Could you elaborate or offer some more specific questions for the community to answer?
  9. FrustratedCitizen01 said...Am I required to have photo ID on my person at all times (even if I am not in a motor vehicle) in the state of MI. What leads you to ask such a question (context)? I'm unaware of a Michigan law that requires one to have a photo ID in their possession for every second of every day. FrustratedCitizen01 said...Also I recently received ticket for driving while my license was suspended. I have paid he ticket , but was unaware that I had to appear before the judge. What are the guidelines for him sentencing me? This Michigan statute, 257.904 lists the penalties for operating a vehicle on a suspended license.
  10. IamJenn said...Is there anything she can do about this? I would consider trying to speak with someone else at the ND police station. If the sister clearly exceeded the bounds of consent, then any permission granted should no longer be in effect. The sister might also consider going to Maryland to retrieve the car. She might also be able to hire a repossession company to get the car back for her.
  11. alphamale69 said...Is their anyway she can have the charges dropped? She didn't "press" the charges and she can't have them dropped. She can talk to the prosecutor to attempt to convince them to dismiss the charges, but they're under no obligation to listen or agree.
  12. I'm unaware of the specific point values, but you can read about, in general, Federal Sentencing Guidelines here on FindLaw. Additionally, this sentencing guideline manual put out by the USSC might prove to be of some assistance.
  13. It appears, according to OCGA 3-3-23, that a minor can consume an alcoholic beverage, with parental consent when in the parent or guardian's home.
  14. Ellie_56 said... Do I have any rights and can I fight > these charges since I was never informed that I was covered > anymore? Do you no longer have insurance coverage or is it simply that the bills weren't submitted to your insurance? If the latter, have you tried submitting the bills to your insurance carrier?
  15. In the future you may want to post a brief description with a handful of direct questions - it might get you some more responses. I would also suggest posting a separate question in the Criminal Law forum for the criminal matter. I'm not clear, is the title in your name or the new buyer's name? Because there is a bill of sale that might complicate matters, and you might have to sue for repossession. As for the criminal matters, I would strongly suggest, in light of the charges, that your boyfriend consult with a local criminal defense attorney for advice and guidance. He or she will have the knowledge and experience to guide him appropriately and the ability to answer his questions with certainty.
  16. verybadluck said... I have got four driving while suspended with in 1 year how bad did i screw my self and for how long. I live in wisconsin. It's not good. You can read the statute dealing with driving without a license at 343.05. The penalty is described as follows: (5) PENALTIES. (a) Any person who violates sub. (1) or (2) shall be: 1. Fined not less than $200 nor more than $600 or imprisoned for not more than 6 months or both for the first such violation. 2. Fined not less than $300 nor more than $1,000 or imprisoned for not less than 5 days nor more than 6 months or both for the 2nd offense occurring within 3 years. 3. Fined not less than $1,000 nor more than $2,000 and imprisoned for not less than 10 days nor more than 6 months for the 3rd or subsequent offense occurring within 3 years. Perhaps you ought not to drive when your license is suspended.
  17. Do you have a legal question you'd like answered?
  18. jayetta said... Is this correct and if not, is it still too late to file suit.? You might want to consider reading through the materials available here at FindLaw on medical malpractice claims to get an idea of what they are and when they're actionable. From there you can assess your own situation and decide if further action is necessary. Additionally, if you believe there is an actionable claim, you ought to get in touch with a Florida medical malpractice attorney. Many of the lawyers listed in the FindLaw Directory even offer free consultations, so there's no reason not to make a few calls. Finally, it appears that the statute of limitations for medical malpractice claims can be anywhere from 2-4 years in Florida, so all the more reason to consult a local attorney for all the details.
  20. A felony or a criminal record isn't necessarily a bar to the acquisition of a passport. Note, however, that you may need to contact any countries to which you intend to travel (prior to departing) to ensure that you will be granted entry into that country. Some countries disallow entry to foreigners with certain convictions.
  21. Have you asked this question of the Department of Corrections? If you have trouble getting an answer from them, considering speaking with a New Mexico criminal defense attorney by taking advantage of the free consultations that many listed in the FindLaw Directory offer.
  22. jdjames24x7 said...Is there any merit to this? Thank you in advance! It appears something did recently pass known as the Second Chance Act. Unfortunately, I'm unaware of the actual citation, but you're welcome to search Indiana's website to see if you can find the bill that addresses it. Another article. Additionally, an Indiana criminal defense attorney would probably be aware of the new law as well as the procedure for filing the necessary petition.
  23. gtrptr said... can anyone help me or at least point me in the right direction Did you have any sort of hearing as a result of the alleged parole violation?
  24. jimmyjim said... if the dont have the tapes do they have to let her go. There's no way anyone here can know that. If the prosecution has enough evidence to proceed with criminal charges I'd say it's safe to say they're going to prosecute. They obviously have witness testimony (and possibly other evidence as well). Your wife ought to be consulting with a local criminal defense attorney for advice and assistance on how to defend herself. You can find a Chesapeake, Virginia criminal defense attorney by using FindLaw's Directory. Many of the lawyers listed offer free consultations, so there's no harm in making a few calls. Best of luck.
  25. hoodie209 said... What kind of charges or if any can be placed on fleeing parties? Without more details, I don't know that such a person could be charged, if, they weren't a party to the crime, they weren't a witness to the crime, and they weren't evading arrest.
  • Create New...