Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  1. If you paid for the room with a credit card, you could contact the card issuer's dispute department and file a claim with them against the hotel; it might or might not lead to a resolution in your favor, but at least you would not have to pay until after your claim is looked into by the dispute department. Even if it is not found in your favor, you might get some concession or discount by the hotel. This certainly would be the leasr expensive way to go, and possibly the only cost-effective way to press your claim.
  2. What did the auction company tell you to justify the disposal of your goods?
  3. for most credit card disputes, the cardholder can contact the card issuer's Customer Service department, which should direct the cardholder to a charge dispute form (if it is not available on the web site, they will mail one); once this is filled out fully and returned, the card issuer will investigate the transaction and assess its veracity.
  4. i assume that with such a large theft, your brother would have filed a police report and an insurance claim, which would be crimes if he did it fraudulently. in my opinion, i would start from there
  5. Don't wait until 30 days is over. The person that told you the impound lot wouldn't release the car until 30 days was up was wrong. The longer you wait, the more it will cost you.
  6. The time to inspect an used car and negotiate a better warranty is before the sale, not after. Any used car, if only for the fact it is "used," is going to have something ready to go out on it due to normal wear and tear. This is why used cars are usually sold 'as is,' because there is no way for a seller to determine when worn parts are going to fail. For that reason, a prudent buyer would have had an used car inspected before a sale to make an assessment on the condition of major components. This assessment gives the buyer a better idea of the condition of a car, and can use it to negotiate the price of the car. If you wanted a car with a better warranty, you should have negotiated it and had it put in writing (and expected to pay more money for it). Your failure to pay the delivery driver, in my humble opinion, is a form of fraud as he was not part of the contract between you and the seller. He performed a service for you and stiffed him. Look forward to a lawsuit against you. In other words, you can't be more wrong. You should stop blaming others for your lack of competence in negotiating the sale of a used car. You are lucky you are getting off only needing $850 in repairs.
  7. Any judge deciding on a lawsuit for back rent, of course, is going to want to see some kind of written rental agreement as the basis of the claim. I will assume he doesn't have one. Do not believe anything that "his lawyer says." In my humble opinion, you need a lawyer working on your behalf yesterday. Your position in any kind of suit is much stronger than his, and I don't think his vindictive pettiness will come across well before a judge. So get someone experienced working on your behalf and get returned what is rightly yours. It is doubtful, however, that your legal fees can be added to any judgment, but it will still be much better to hire an attorney than do this on your own.
  8. Arizona law requires a seller to disclose that a car has ever had a salvage title before a sale is completed.
  9. Here is a web site that lists the "age of consent" by state: http://www.webistry.net/jan/consent.html
  10. i don't think your problem is with Carfax. Carfax can only report accident information that is reported to them (and informs you of that at the top of its report). it looks as if Carfax reported the information as soon as it received it, which is all it can do. Carfax also specifies on its report that you should not rely on its report as having the total history of an auto, and that you should have an independent mechanic inspect an auto before you purchase it. did you have an independent inspection on the car before you bought it? in my opinion, your issue is with the dealership where you bought the car. salvage titles are not marked salvage retroactively; somewhere along the line the dealership had the car with a salvage title - either it bought it from an insurance company or an individual with a salvage title. if the title was not marked as salvage when you bought it, somehow the dealership did something to wash the title so the salvage mark wasn't on your title. but as a practical matter you have a 11+ year=old car with probably 150,000 miles on it by now, i can't imagine the value of that car being much over $1000 anyway, so i can't see you getting anything out of this above what the second dealer will give you, not to mention putting time and effort into something it is doubtful you will get much of a return
  11. "My father recently passed away and had a will which was settled and signed, by probate court, approx. 6 mo ago." If the above statement is correct, why are you inquiring about it now and not before it was settled?
  12. auto insurance companies utilize repair shops that they have a good track record with, and are confident that they will receive the correct work to fulfill the policy requirements of their customers; in exchange for steering alot of work to certain repair shops, the insurance companies get hefty discounts from their preferred shops, so it will be very difficult to find a repair shop that doesn't have a tie to the insurance company to get a comparable bid. the close working relationship between the auto insurer and their preferred shops includes a guarantee of getting paid for their work; cutting a check only to the repair shop (or, at worst, a check that requires the signature of both the repair shop and the insured) assures the shop is going to be compensated for their labor. making a check out to only the insured does not, so don't count on that happening.
  13. this is becoming increasingly common with the advent of computerized license plate readers utilized by law enforcement. one police car armed with a license plate scanner can run hundreds of license plates per minute while driving down a road. in my city, these scanners have been used since at least 2009, and at least one police car per day drives around the city scanning plates (both on stationary and moving cars) looking for plates listed in their database for stolen cars, cars involved in crimes, and cars on the road that otherwise shouldn't be there, such as those with expired plates or lapsed auto insurance. in my state, auto insurance companies are required to forward information to the DMV, who in turn forward the info to the police, regarding their clients who have not paid their insurance renewals but have active plates. the police determining your plates being suspended, whether through using a police scanner or otherwise, gave them probable cause to stop you (you could have, of course, refuted them by providing a up-dated insurance card). the police can run any car plate at any time as car operators have no expectation of privacy on a public road, and you are lucky your car wasn't towed impounded for that violation, as it should not have been allowed on the street, so the police did you a favor if all you received was a ticket
  14. not knowing what went on in the emergency room, your question is impossible to answer; rudeness is entirely subjective and does not rise to negligence. negligence in a medical context would be a doctor or nurse not performing to a designated professional standard of care, and without all the facts that would be impossible to determine, especially by non-medical professionals like you and me your mother was free to seek an immediate second opinion with another doctor upon her release. apparently the problem was not great enough for her so she waited nine more days to see another doctor. this may be a problem for her. did your mother incur additional injuries as the result of the non-treatment of her condition? in my humble (and non-medical professional) opinion, she would need to be able to prove this for you to pursue a successful action but you never know - many medical malpractice attorneys offer free initial consultations to determine whether a case would be worth it for a client to pursue. you can find one in your local phone directory or call your local county Bar Association and ask for a list of medical malpractice attorneys, perhaps one could find facts in your case that would give greater optimism than i give it
  15. My reading of the Indiana Code is that Indiana has a filing requirement within two years of the birth of the child (IC 31- 14 - 15 - 5 - 3) Sect. 3 (, but it can be overcome by certain things such as the admittance of paternity; and that the support order MAY include the date of birth (not must or shall, but MAY); however, in my opinion, this action would have had to have been filed several years ago, and any retroactive award of past child support would be doubtful under your facts at this late date. But your action is now a moot point since the father already filed in MD, your application in IN is not going to go anywhere as LegalwriterOne already posted. The father, however, is free to voluntarily pay you the five years of child support money through his own free will.
  • Create New...