Guest Guest

Indirect Death Threat

My question is this:

I was employed by Child Protective Services in the State of Texas and a dad on my caseload told two of his family member that he hired someone to kill me. In response, the family members contacted the local police department who contacted me. After the police department obtained written statements from those who heard the threat he was arrested.

Now, when it comes time for the district attorney to prosecute they will not accept the case because it was not a direct threat. What can I do to ensure the case is prosecuted.

I quit my job as a result of this threat because I have an infant daughter and did not feel I would be able to continue putting her in danger. Since quitting I have had trouble finding another job, therefore, putting strain on my family financially. I have suffered and had to make sacrifices and changes as a result of this threat and he is going to get away without any punishment.

What are my rights and what can I do?

You can't make any DA's office pursue charges. It is completely and entirely within their discretion. If they can't make the case under the statutes as they exist, they're not going to file charges, period.