Guest Guest

Tenant Vehicle Condition

My Apartment Manager will not let me park my car on the apartment property. He originally said it was wrecked as his reason. But, the car is fully functional. The only issue is that it has been in an accident. The passenger headlight cover is busted off, The hood is slightly bent and the front bumper is cracked in a few places. It is properly registered and insured. It is 100% roadworthy. It's a 2002 Mercury Cougar. I have nowhere else to park the car. I've been parking at an elementary school about a 10 min. walk from the apartment. I don't have the money to get the car fixed. I feel like he is creating an unfair living situation.

There is a clause in the lease that says something like: The vehicle cannot lower the marketability or embarrassment to the building management.

Please if anyone could help it would be extremely appreciated. I don't know housing laws. I searched through here but, I couldn't find anything about vehicles. Thanks in advance

Andrew

I can't imagine the landlord's provision in the lease is at all enforceable if your vehicle is properly registered and operable. If you want to make an issue of it, then you need to file a petition/suit against the landlord in the relevant landlord-tenant court in your state/area. First, I would be writing to the *owner* of the property if that's not this "manager".

The problem I see with that provision is that it is to open. The Owner/MGR can tell anyone he wants they can't have their vehicle on the property.

Also, there are other vehicles with damage. Why am I being targeted? I almost feel like it is some kind of discrimination. I don't mean racial by the way.

Unfortunately I don't have money to hire a lawyer or anything. If I did. I would just get my car fixed and there would be no problem.

Thanks for your response