Gorgeguy

Police put hidden cameras in our home.

I live with my elderly mother.  I went camping for the weekend.  While home alone she fell and needed help she called 911.  The police and paramedics came and helped her.  While in our home they said that our (working) smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors were out of date.  They removed our working equipment.  One night I burned dinner and usually our smoke alarm would have went off but these didn't I took one down and they are fake and have cameras inside.  Without our knowledge.  Now we currently don't have any working detectors in our home.  

20171121_174110.jpg

received_1577521765644392.jpeg

1511392280788-2034745946.jpg

Edited by Gorgeguy
Added another photo of smoke detector.

Is this invasion of privacy?  Is it illegal?  I only discovered it yedterday.  I am looking for advice on what I should do about this.  The police actually made our home unprotected from fire and carbon monoxide detection without our knowledge putting us in danger.  Is any of this illegal?

Edited by Gorgeguy
Added to question.

Why sure,it could be illegal,but given the account of events you shared,this is what you expect us to believe.Your mother,had a fall,while you were camping,and she called 911.Some random Police Officer was dispatched to your residence,who has no idea who you are,and he just so happens to have these "hidden cameras" with him too,and for some unknown reason,he decides to plant them in fake smoke detectors ,and you are totally clueless as to why these cameras were planted.

Well,what are the odds any of this could have happen to you in the exact manner that you described?I'm betting on "ZERO."

There are two pictures, one of a wall mount, the other of a ceiling mount.  Please explain.  Is the picture of the box containing a fake detector a box you found at your mother's house?  Have there been allegations that your mother had been abused by anyone.

I note the box containing the alleged fake smoke detector says the battery lasts 20 hours.  Why would the police install a device with a battery lasting less than one day?  How long ago did this happen?

2 hours ago, RetiredinVA said:

note the box containing the alleged fake smoke detector says the battery lasts 20 hours.  Why would the police install a device with a battery lasting less than one day?  How long ago did this happen?

That's yet another good point,but even if allegations of abuse to his Mother had  been raised,some random Police Officer,responding to a 911 call,would have no idea who this man or his Mother were,and already have cameras in his patrol car,ready to install.That's what really don't make any sense given the limited details the OP gave us.

It's a "big picture,"with a lot of missing pieces left out.

The csc electronics fake smoke detector pictured by the poster does not have "Kidde" embossed on it.  The device pictured does have "Kidde" embossed on it.  Kidde is a legitimate smoke detector maker.  I am reasonably certain the Kidde company would not allow anyone to make fake smoke detectors with their trademark on them.  The detector installed by the fire department or police is a real smoke detector. 

If the poster believes the detector installed in his or her mother's house is not a real smoke detector because it did not go off when he or she burned dinner, he or she may be mistaken.  The cause was probably a dead batter or improper placement of the detector.  

What we are seeing in pic#1,is a picture advertising a fake smoke detector with a DVR hidden camera from off a website,and pic#3,shows a smoke detector,with what looks like a brand starting with the letter"K".

Now,I really don't have the inclination to look this up,but I do know,no hidden cameras could have "lawfully" be placed their by the police in the manner the OP has described,just would not happen.

Now the OP wants to know if any of this was "legal,but that's irrelevant,because,they didn't plant any cameras.

On 11/22/2017 at 3:15 PM, Gorgeguy said:

Is this invasion of privacy?  Is it illegal?  I only discovered it yedterday.  I am looking for advice on what I should do about this.

When you called the people who put these cameras up in your home, what did they tell you?  If you haven't made that call, that's the rather obvious first step.

By the way, the pictures don't really tell us anything, so I'm not sure why you included them.  More useful would be a picture of the inside of the allegedly fake smoke detector that shows the camera.  What evidence do you have that these are cameras and not smoke detectors?

Also, for the camera to be of any use to anyone, it would have to (1) have internal storage, (2) be connected to monitors, or (3) be connected to external storage.  Nothing in your post suggests that you found any internal storage or any connections to external storage or a monitor.  In fact, the first picture suggests that no connections were present.  Keep in mind that, depending on the video quality and other factors, a minute of video will require about 180 MB of storage, so a camera with only internal storage is likely to max out after an hour or two.  Another question for you to answer is what possible motivation the police or paramedics might have to do what you claim.