DrEnd

Historical plates and usage

So i have an 81 chevy pickup, it's built for mudding and mud racing and is historically plated, but Ive been working on it and debating using it again. I was curious if the vehicle is possible to be used still with the historical plates for going mudding with a group of friends like we used to or to say take my daughter to her graduation. And if these historical plates cannot be used can it easily be reverted to normal plates

11 hours ago, DrEnd said:

I was curious if the vehicle is possible to be used still with the historical plates for going mudding with a group of friends like we used to or to say take my daughter to her graduation

Here's what the statute says:

Quote

ORC 4503.181 (A) As used in this section, "historical motor vehicle" means any motor vehicle that is more than twenty-five years old and that is owned solely as a collector's item and for participation in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, and similar uses. A historical motor vehicle shall not be used for general transportation, but may be operated on the public roads and highways to and from a location where maintenance is performed on the vehicle.

https://law.justia.com/codes/ohio/2016/title-45/chapter-4503/section-4503.181/

And this is the application you filled out when you applied for the plates:

http://publicsafety.ohio.gov/links/bmv4806.pdf

In my capacity as a car collector who has to comply with similar requirements I make the following comments.

1 - Mudding with friends. I would construe that as participation in club activities or "similar uses."

2 - Daughter to graduation. A little to close to "general transportation" but we all take our collectibles out for pleasure drives. I think you'd be OK for a one time trip like that. Just don't do anything that would call attention to yourself.

As always, DrEnd, if you are caught or killed I will disavow any knowledge of your actions.

;)