Toxeen

Verizon is suing me for 22,000 dollars on damage

9 posts in this topic

2 years ago I had an accident and unfortunately hit a Verizon pole, i went to court and the Judge found m guilty, but nothing else happened except for paying traffic tickets,
yesterday 4/19/2017 a lawyer call me telling me i have to pay Verizon 22,000 dollars on damages, i cant pay that even if they cut the payments into 3 parts i make around 15,000 a year,
if i fail to pay can i go to jail and how many years approximately? any answers?

You cannot be imprisoned in the United States for debt.

Before anyone says otherwise, people are occasionally jailed for failure to pay child or spousal support.  They are not jailed because they owe a debt, they are jailed because they have violated the court's order and are in contempt.  In civil cases, the court does not order the defendant to pay damages, despite what the newspaper says.  The court simply finds the defendant owes the plaintiff a certain amount of damages. 

You can't go to jail. Verizon can get a judgment and try to collect, which will be hard given your income.  If you don't have liability insurance that will defend you and pay for damages, you might consult with a bankruptcy attorney.  If you weren't drunk, a judgment from a simple accident should be dischargeable.

4 minutes ago, RetiredinVA said:

You cannot be imprisoned in the United States for debt.

Before anyone says otherwise, people are occasionally jailed for failure to pay child or spousal support.  They are not jailed because they owe a debt, they are jailed because they have violated the court's order and are in contempt.  In civil cases, the court does not order the defendant to pay damages, despite what the newspaper says.  The court simply finds the defendant owes the plaintiff a certain amount of damages. 

so If i cant pay what could happen to me?

a judgement could be entered against you and a lien put on any real estate you now own or may own in the future. depending upon your state and income, they may be able to garnish your wages.  This claim should be covered by the auto liability insurance you had at the time of the accident.  Have  you contacted them?

1 minute ago, doucar said:

a judgement could be entered against you and a lien put on any real estate you now own or may own in the future. depending upon your state and income, they may be able to garnish your wages.  This claim should be covered by the auto liability insurance you had at the time of the accident.  Have  you contacted them?

no though the car wasn't mine was my friend and since we havent spoke again.

19 minutes ago, Toxeen said:

no though the car wasn't mine was my friend and since we havent spoke again.

You were likely covered under his liability insurance as a driver using the car with permission.

I suggest that you talk to your friend and get his insurance information from the time of the accident. If he gives you a hard time just tell him he can be on the hook as the owner of the car.

If your friend still won't talk to you see if there is a police report that provides his insurance information and contact that insurance company.

Meantime, you are free to tell the attorney that you can't pay. Not much they can do to you without filing a lawsuit.

On 4/20/2017 at 8:32 AM, Toxeen said:

i went to court and the Judge found m guilty, but nothing else happened except for paying traffic tickets

Found you guilty?  "Guilt" is only an issue in criminal matters.  Is that what you meant?  If so, guilty of what?  Or did you mean that the company sued you and you were found liable?

On 4/20/2017 at 8:32 AM, Toxeen said:

if i fail to pay can i go to jail and how many years approximately? any answers?

Unless a judge in a criminal action ordered you to pay restitution, the answer is no.

Did you report this matter to your auto liability insurance carrier?  If not, why not?  If so, you should refer the lawyer who contacted you to your insurer.