thecrew74

Writing letter to lawyer

How would you write a letter to a lawyer to get them to respond? Over the last month we have called our attorney more than a handful of times. He is paid in full but didn't show for court. His secretary said she has given him every message we have left. He even set a time/date to call us but then didn't call. We haven't been out of control with reaching out to him until this last court hearing when he didn't show up for court. When we call the office the secretary says he is out of the office, in court or in a meeting but that she will give him the message. I have done my research so I know I can contact the bar BUT I don't want to do that at this time. I merely want to hear what he has to say about the case and where we go from here. We have another court hearing coming up and I'm very concerned he isn't going to show up. I'm so confused as to why he won't return our calls. At this point I'm going to write him a letter certified mailed but I'm not sure what I should include in the letter other than please provide an update on the status of my case. Btw its a child custody case, I'm the non-custodial parent seeking custody of my child. I don't live in the area in which the attorney is in otherwise I'd go into his office and wait for him so I'm going this route first and then if I can't get anywhere I will move forward with alternatives. So far I have paid him $2,000, we had court 2x and met with him 1x and had a few phone call. Thanks 

If an attorney actually misses court appearances and then fails to return client calls that is usually an indication of a serious problem.  Those are the sorts of things that result in suspension and even disbarment.  I can't suggest exactly what you should write but I think you should suggest to the lawyer that you may be forced to file a complaint with the bar if you do not get satisfactory response to your letter.  Sorry to hear this is happening to you.

If you can afford to hire another lawyer, please seriously consider doing so.  Your new lawyer will need to fire your old lawyer if he can not give reasonable justification for why he has been missing court appearances.