rjb4321

Patients Rights

Do dentists have a right to deny you service in an emergency or urgent care situation?  My gums started to swell and my regular dentist was not open on that day.  I called around and got an emergency number.  I informed them of my situation and then they ask me what insurance I have.  I told them I have two dental plans and one of the plans they told they did not accept and when I tried to explain I have another dental plan where there are no networks and I can go to any dentist that I want she told me they still could not see me.  I finally found a dentist on that day but because of the extreme stress they put me thru, this dentist was unable to pull my tooth because now my blood pressure is too high and now I have to be on medications to lower that down before I can get my tooth pulled.  When you are in an emergency situation, all dental insurance is billed in network and so to even ask what insurance I have to me makes no sense and to deny someone access  in an emergency situation should not be legal to do.

Dentists (and doctors) have the right to refuse to take on new patients, and or restrict which patients they will accept based on insurance. Doctors in a life or death type emergency may be required to render care, but swollen gums does not even come close to this standard. The dentist who would not see you that day is in no way responsible for your HBP. While your insurance carrier may treat emergency appointments as in network for their coverage purposes but that in no way compels a provider to accept you as a patient. You also are not the one who determines whether it meets the definition of an emergency per the carrier.

On 4/18/2017 at 4:42 AM, rjb4321 said:

Do dentists have a right to deny you service in an emergency or urgent care situation?

Yes.