Jenny62

Settlement time limit close want me to sign

Was in accident deemed 50/50. Now today, months later i am asked by my insurance to sign papers to settle nown,as i am told, time is of the essence,running out and without the knowledge if suer has a spouse or not.My insurance says  cant get a hold of or a response from the suers Lawyer to find out if there is a spouse. I am afraid to sign and then later if there is a spouse i get sued by spouse.Thought had more time, I feel uneasy. The claims are outrageous as it is and worse now says will be ongoing possibly for life. What? Accident  was almost at a stop. I'm told 50/50. I think a set up. What happens if i dont sign because i am not informed of a spouse.

4 minutes ago, Jenny62 said:

Was in accident deemed 50/50.

Deemed by whom?

4 minutes ago, Jenny62 said:

Now months later i am asked to sign papers

Asked by whom?  What sorts of "papers"?

5 minutes ago, Jenny62 said:

without the knowledge if suer has a spouse or not.

Huh?

Are you saying that the other driver involved in the accident has sued you?

6 minutes ago, Jenny62 said:

What happens if i dont sign because i am not informed of a spouse.

If you don't sign what?  If you're talking about consenting to a settlement, if your insurer is handling your defense and the settlement is within your policy limits, your insurer doesn't need your approval.  If this is a situation in which your approval is needed, then if you don't sign off, the case will continue.

9 minutes ago, pg1067 said:

Deemed by whom?

Asked by whom?  What sorts of "papers"?

Huh?

Yes

They wanted more than both of our insurance limits so will get limit of both.That was agreement which is good for about a week left of time. I forgot name of form.sorry she was stressing me out. But she said i had to sign or agreement wont go thru

5 minutes ago, Jenny62 said:

My insurance said police saw it as 50/50 and my insurance agreed and that it would not go against me.

If you haven't exhausted your policy limits, then your insurer is still on the hook to defend and indemnify you in the event of a claim by the spouse.  Next, what documents are you being asked to sign?  Your insurer doesn't need your permission to settle and, therefore, doesn't need your signature on anything.  Don't sign unless you have an attorney review these documents.  Finally, if the claimant's attorney wants your insurer's money, the attorney will respond to questions.  It makes no sense that your insurance wants to give the claimant money and the claimant's attorney is "unavailable."  Don't sign until you have a proper response from the claimant's attorney, even if your attorney has reviewed the documents you are being asked to sign.