tanad24

Property Damage from years ago

I recently Obtained a letter from a past landlord (rental company) from 5 years ago stating that I owed them $1000 for carpet that was replaced. This was 5 years ago so from what I remember there was a rip in the carpet in one of the bedrooms which I was fine paying for. They decided that that the entire unit needed the carpet replace (800sq ft or so and $1600) even though I had shampooed the carpet and had left the unit in the same if not better shape than when we got it. I told them I would pay for the carpet in one bedroom and to take it out of our security deposit ($650). Haven't heard from them in 5 years until I received this letter saying I owed them $1000 or they are taking me to small claims court. Just curious how this will hold up in court. Thoughts?

It appears the relevant statute of limitations in Minnesota is 6 years.  No way to address anything else without some understanding of the available evidence.