sessiih

Non-Renewal/Deposit

Ok so me and my family entered into a lease agreement for a house. The lease is supposed to term end of May.

We were supposed to move in June 1,st 2016 but since it did not land on a weekend the landlord allowed us to move in May 27th, 2016, which means she had to revise the lease agreement. So the revised lease shows we moved in May 27th, 2016 BUT she left the end date blank. She verbally told us it would term at the END of May. Since we signed the new lease and sent it to her for her to sign she never gave us a signed revised copy. I requested it several times and still nothing.

She sent us the Non-Renewal letter saying "Please take notice that the lease under which you hold possession of the above described property will terminate pursuant to its own terms on May 26, 2017 and will not be renewed"....which is fine because we did not want to renew. Again I requested a copy of our original lease and she has not responded. I am planning on sending her our letter through certified mail for Non-Renewal as well just in case.

I have almost all communication in emails as well. She is actually family so I also emailed her letting her know that we understood she gave us until end of May to move out. I mean we are paying for the full month. I just want as little stress as possible with this move.

18 hours ago, sessiih said:

. Since we signed the new lease and sent it to her for her to sign she never gave us a signed revised copy. I requested it several times and still nothing.

When are people going to learn to do these things in person, get both signatures, and keep copies on the spot? Well, maybe you've learned this lesson for the future.

18 hours ago, sessiih said:

We were supposed to move in June 1,st 2016 but since it did not land on a weekend the landlord allowed us to move in May 27th, 2016, which means she had to revise the lease agreement. So the revised lease shows we moved in May 27th, 2016 BUT she left the end date blank.

Your rent period is the 27th of the month to the 26th of the next month with rent due on the 27th of the month even though you may have routinely been paying on the following 1st of the month.

So, you won't be paying for the full month of May after all. You'll only be paying for the period April 27 to May 26.

You aren't losing anything and nobody's doing anything wrong or illegal to you. You'll have lived there for the full 12 months from April 27, 2016 to May 26, 2017 and you are paying for 12 months tenancy. You didn't get an extra 4 days for free.

You've got 42 days to find another place and move. If the 4 day difference causes you "stress" it's going to be of your own making. Don't make a federal case out of nothing. You aren't going to win it.

You mention deposit in the title of your post. Start reading the Security Deposit statute at 92.101:

http://law.justia.com/codes/texas/2015/property-code/title-8/chapter-92/

I don't see a question in your post or any dispute that raises any issue, so I wonder what the purpose of your post is.