Lmsfrustrations

Disabled hours cut significantly

I have worked part-time as a disabled employee for a major retail store for the past three years without incident. However, this year in January, a new manager began and my schedule has been drastically reduced. Several times I've spoken to him about this. I am now working less than 1/3 of my availability. He has scheduled me several times for days that I'm not available and several weeks (not consecutive) I've not been scheduled at all. As far as I can tell I'm the only disabled person working and I'm the only person who is having this difficulty. Is there any recourse to this or should I be forced to quit a job I love and excel at because he's a jerk?

15 hours ago, Lmsfrustrations said:

this year in January, a new manager began and my schedule has been drastically reduced. Several times I've spoken to him about this.

And....he told you what?

15 hours ago, Lmsfrustrations said:

Is there any recourse to this

Depends on the reason why this is happening.  You apparently assume it's because of your "disability," but nothing in your post (which is the entirety of the information we have about the situation) supports that conclusion.

He has said that he can only schedule hours where they're needed. However, recently all cashier's and mca"s  became the same position, which means there are ever more opportunities for hours.  Now, everyone else that has worked with me is getting hours and he continues to hire new employees. Granted they may be available for different hours than I am but I'm at a complete loss as to how he can justify not scheduling me. I did ask if he was trying to make me quit by forcing me out. He said no and that he liked my work. There are no complaints about my work, only praise, which makes it all the more confusing.

Yes, I assume it's due to my disability, that's the only reason that would make any sense to me. I do my work, I do it in a timely fashion  and I do it well. I don't need supervision or help and I don't need to be told what to do or when to do it.  I have spoken to a manager as to why this might be happening and he has also spoken to the store manager and he hasn't gotten a straight answer from the guy either. The only thing that sets me apart is my disability which is physical but not obvious.

I have worked 3-4 days a week, 18-20 hours and now nothing. Yes, I could easily walk away. Retail jobs are a dime a dozen. But I actually like my job and the people I work with (for the most part). And I don't want to leave.

If you aren't available when they have needed you to work, that could well account for you being scheduled fewer hours in general. The employer sets the schedule and is not required to only schedule employees for their preferred shifts. Hiring others to work different shifts is not indicative of anything.  It isn't clear why you believe your disability is the real reason. It takes much more to have a viable claim than just having a disability.

You know your workplace better than we do. Whether you would be best served to schedule a meeting with this supervisor to discuss your schedule, or speak to the store manager, we can't say. I'd avoid making accusations as to motive and focus on the actual problem.