Jquest716

Neighbor issues

Hi from Long Island,

I apologize in advance for the length of this message but my wife and I are at our wits end with our neighbor. To begin we live in a Co-op on the second floor for two years now and we have already had a number of issue with our downstairs neighbour. Let me explain my case, when we first moved in we redid the whole unit changed carpets and put down new flooring and paid extra for the thicker underlay so we could minimize the sound from us to her unit. But right away she started banging on her celing whenever we would walk from the kitchen to the living room or to the bathroom. We spoke to her and she said we were breaking the quite laws in the development so we went to the board and asked they told us there are no noise laws besides the state ones and the law that prohibits construction after 6pm. We talked to her again telling her that there we're no laws and we would try to maintain a healthy level noise but we can't not walk to bed or to the bathroom. Fast forward she continues to bang and last Friday I had my brother and his partner over for dinner she started banging at 7pm till 12am when they left. She came over the next day and complaining stating that we broke the co-op laws which we already told her about and if we keep us this noise she will call the police. 

My wife is worried because she doesn't want to have the policed called on us and I am at my wits end. This has started to effect our relationship and my work. I don't know what to do. I understand the whole well you are the top neighbor and you should try to be more accommodating but we have and I just don't want to have anymore problems. I understand my issue is not as sever as many others who I have read about and I'm sorry if I seem like I am Just complaining. Thanks in advance and all the best to everyone

Why not just ignore her? If she does call the police, and all you are doing is walking normally in your own apartment, SHE is the one they will be annoyed with. If she herself comes to your door, simply do not answer.

We do ignore her but it's the constant banging on our floor her ceiling which is slowly driving us insane. She knocks at least 4 to 5 times a week and sometimes it is a bit insane. Like when I cook in the kitchen she will knock, or when I come home from work at 7 and go to my bed room to change there is a bang on the floor. I just don't see how else to deal with the situation other then learn how to fly. 

I'm not sure what you are looking for here. Neither of you is breaking any laws, you just annoy one another. You can ask her to stop banging on the ceiling just as she can ask you to tread lighter.

I don't see a question in your post, so I'm not sure what sort of response you're seeking or expecting.

If your neighbor were to post here, I'm sure she would tell us a very different story than you have told.  Your options are to do whatever your co-op agreement allows for and/or sue or move.  Take your pick.

Why I agree her story would be different and like I said in my original post we are following the rules as laied out and besides moving because we invested all of our money into this home. What would we sue for? Also is that the only way we could have her stop the banging on our floor? Could we get a civil order of protection for harassment?

15 hours ago, Jquest716 said:

What would we sue for?

The cause of action would be nuisance, and you'd seek an injunction.

15 hours ago, Jquest716 said:

Also is that the only way we could have her stop the banging on our floor?

I'm not in any position to guess what might induce someone I don't know to stop doing something.  This is a legal message board, so all anyone here can do is provide information about the applicable law (or lack thereof), which we've done.

16 hours ago, Jquest716 said:

Could we get a civil order of protection for harassment?

Maybe.  It depends on the laws of your unidentified state.

Guessing this is NY, based on the Long Island comment in the first post. NYC does have a law to address noisy neighbors, so you can chance the local laws where you are and see if there is something similar. Whether banging a few times a week on the ceiling would meet that threshold is debatable. You might do better to discuss it with the co-op board or just play music/get a white noise machine to muffle her bangs.

2 minutes ago, ElleMD said:

Guessing this is NY, based on the Long Island comment in the first post.

There are at least a half dozen inhabited places called Long Island in the U.S.