I was curious to know.. I worked for a medical office for 6 months and had a evaluation from my manager last Thursday and was great! Friday after working the full 8 hour shift 
I was called into the office and was told that they wanted me to sign a resignation letter beacuse they felt I was not happy at my job.. I was never given a verbal or written warning and refused to sign the resignation letter due to not being able to receive unemployment. So therefore I was let go... Can you really get fired cause they assume you are unhappy at your job??

Yes.

And you can be fired for any reason or no reason as long as it doesn't violate any anti-discrimination laws, union contracts, or bona fide employment contracts.

File for unemployment ASAP.

PS: You were wise not to sign the resignation. Never resign when you are told resign or be fired.

At least not unless they pay you enough to make it worthwhile because resigning disqualifies you for UI and they'll never admit to making the threat.

On 3/19/2017 at 9:08 AM, buckeyegal99 said:

Can you really get fired cause they assume you are unhappy at your job?

Apparently you were fired and that was the reason given, so the answer is necessarily yes.  Is that really the question you intended to ask?

Can you really get fired cause they assume you are unhappy at your job??

I imagine the missing word here is, legally.

Yes, you can really get fired legally because they assume you are unhappy at your job.

You will likely be eligible for unemployment, but unless there are major facts missing there is nothing illegal about the termination.

Private employers may legally terminate your employment for nearly any reason they choose. The reasons do not have to be fair or even logical. The employer could be making a bad business decision in letting go a good employee. But the law allows the employer to do that. The termination is only illegal when the reason for termination is one of the relatively few things that the law prohibits. 

The prohibited reasons include firing you because:

• of your race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, or genetic test information under federal law (some states/localities add a few more categories like sexual orientation);
  • you make certain kinds of reports about the employer to the government or in limited circumstances to specified persons in the employing company itself (known as whistle-blower protection laws);
  • you participate in union organizing activities;
  • you use a right or benefit the law guarantees you (e.g. using leave under FMLA);
  • you filed a bankruptcy petition;
  • your pay was garnished by a single creditor; and
  • you took time off work to attend jury duty (in most states).

The exact list of prohibited reasons will vary by state. Firing you because you appear unhappy in your job is not among the reasons for termination that the law prohibits. Thus, it was not a wrongful termination unless the reason they gave you was false and the real reason was something like those I listed above. If the termination was not wrongful all you can do is file for unemployment and move on.