maggietheoutlaw

Closing cashiers never receive a break

2 posts in this topic

I work as a cashier at a fuel station which is owned by a national retail grocery store.  It is a union job but nonetheless every clerk who closes at the fuel station is denied a break.  You are enclosed in a glass kiosk in the parking lot of the grocery store.  Each closing shift is approx. 5 - 6 hours long.  You work alone, cannot leave and don't ever get a break.  Management is fully aware and so is the union representative and nothing has been done at all to correct the problem.  We have a sign we throw up when we have to use the restroom.  Sign says back in 5 min.  But honestly if you are in there for more than 90 seconds you end up with 2 or 3 customers banging on the glass or shooting you dirty looks.  I am aware Ca law says for every missed break we are supposed to be paid 1 hour of our hourly wage on the next weeks paycheck.  How is that enforced without being "at willed"?  I've complained to the store manager, union rep and payroll and nobody has done anything.  I close usually 4 times a week.  To me this is all a matter of principal.