KAllen27

school admin fabricated story to remove my child

My grandson, a high school sophomore, was recently accused of selling pills in school, or on the bus (depending on the story and who was telling it). The principal and disciplinary person claimed he had sold 5 little blue flexeril pills to another student. When I arrived at school, they requested and were granted permission to search my grandson and his backpack and found nothing. At that point, they stated he would probably be expelled based on the girl who had been caught with the pills pointing the finger at him as the supplier. Over 45 minutes after we arrived home, I received a call from the principal stating that while they were in the office, they found a little blue pill and they now were moving to expell my grandson since he was in possession of a narcotic. When I pointed out that they had no way to connect a mysteriously appearing pill to my grandson, they told me they could do what they wished.

I subsequently was informed by a credible source that the girl caught with the pills had received them from a friend of hers, an autistic child who gave her some of his ADHD meds. I was also informed that school officials were told this immediately after we left the school meeting that day, prior to the phone call accusing him of being in possession. I was informed that the child who supplied the pills told administration that his friend didn't want to get him in trouble when she was caught with drugs and named my grandson because everyone knew him and knew the officials didn't like him. She also admitted that my grandson had not then nor ever given her any medication.

2 weeks later he was served with a no trespass order keeping him from school property, insuring that he cannot even attend any inquiry or complaint hearing at the superintendent's office, because for some reason, they deliberately included the super's office in the no trespass order.

Where do I go from here? This isn't the first incident of bias and false accusation/harassment perpetrated by the school admin against my grandson. I contacted the ACLU, but they don't seem interested. 

50 minutes ago, KAllen27 said:

I subsequently was informed by a credible source that the girl caught with the pills had received them from a friend of hers, an autistic child who gave her some of his ADHD meds.

I have to wonder if you have any basis in reality for believing this story over the story the principal told you.  However, Flexeril (clinical name cyclobenzaprine) is a muscle relaxer; it is not used to treat ADHD.  Also Flexeril tablets are not blue, so there are problems with all of the stories you've related.

57 minutes ago, KAllen27 said:

What happened during this two week period of time?  Was this "order" issued by the local court?  Did your grandson or you (or his parents) receive notice of any proceedings that led to the entry of this order?

58 minutes ago, KAllen27 said:

Where do I go from here?

A local attorney.

AdjunctFL: it is a public school.

pg1067: I am very familiar with flexeril/cyclobenziprene. I know what it looks like, what it's used for and what color it is. The admin claimed to have identified the pills by checking on google. I pointed out that this medication is not blue, but white or yellow and was told that they would stick by what they believe. (ADHD medication does come as a small blue pill, however.) This was one of the first problems noted with the school official's story. 2nd: The person who told me my grandson had no participation in this incident was the student who provided the girl with the medication.  When he found out his friend had accused my grandson, he came forward to take responsibility for the incident. He went to admin directly after we left, in fact was in the room when the official produced a pill from his pocket and claimed that he found it on the desk. That is one reason I posted. The girl also stepped up and admitted my grandson was not involved but was told to mind her business or she would be expelled as well. Obviously, there are significant problems with the school admin story.  

Anyone can request a no trespass order in this state. You simply pick up a form from the local courthouse, fill it out yourself, and give it to the local police. They make a copy and you have someone (no one special) serve the order. You can even serve it yourself. No one checks to see if it is credible or legal.

37 minutes ago, KAllen27 said:

Anyone can request anything from anyone, but a form order that hasn't been signed by a judge or other judicial officer is meaningless.  I suspect you are talking about a "no trespass notice," not an order.  In any event, since this is a public school, your grandson must be afforded due process, and barring him from any hearing would not be consistent with due process, so again, you or the child's parents should be consulting with a local attorney.

Obviously, that was my first action, however, as I am in the process of adopting my 2 teenaged grands and am disabled, I cannot afford the retainer. If you have nothing helpful. . .

1 hour ago, KAllen27 said:

If you have nothing helpful.

Perhaps you have unrealistic expectations of the level of assistance you can get from strangers on the Internet.

If you are not currently the legal guardian of this child, you have no dog in this hunt. The school will or should only deal with the actual, current, legal guardian/parent.

Frankly, it sounds like most of your information is at best second hand (friend of a disabled child, heresay as to what another child might have changed her story to be, etc.). The fact that you mention this is not the first instance for this kid with the administration and you as grandparent are trying to adopt him, leads me to believe there is a LOT more to this story. The legal guardian of the boy/the boy himself can look up the procedures for challenging a disciplinary action in his district. He is entitled to due process, but every district has slight variations on the exact procedure. A lawyer isn't required but would be a smart move, especially given the history you have not shared and your lack of familiarity with the judicial/disciplinary process. Dealing or "gifting" medications of any kind is an extremely serious allegation and one that is dealt with severely. It is a violation of federal law, separate and apart from the "typical" drug dealing laws, and most states have adopted state laws that do the same.