animals4u

Deceptive pet store

I was at a local pet store after hearing others speak about deceptive answers as to where the pets come from. I asked the manager where a specific pup came from, he told me a "reputable local breeder". I asked for the name and area and he gave me a part truth with the last name actually being the first name and the breeder as being from Iowa when in fact it was Missouri. Can they do this and can they advertise that they buy from a local reputable breeder? Is this not a consumer protection matter? Can this be stopped?

Janisum

20 minutes ago, animals4u said:

Can they do this and can they advertise that they buy from a local reputable breeder?

Obviously they CAN do it because they DID do it.

21 minutes ago, animals4u said:

Is this not a consumer protection matter?

Yes.

So?

How does knowing that help you?

21 minutes ago, animals4u said:

Can this be stopped?

Yes.

You stop it by not buying anything from that store.

Go rescue a pet from the pound. It will love you forever.

47 minutes ago, animals4u said:

Can they do this

I'm not sure who "they" are.  Obviously, the store manager can do anything that he did do.  If your intent was to ask whether it is illegal that he referred to a breeder in Iowa as "local," that obviously depends on where in Missouri the store is and where in Iowa the breeder is (there is, after all, a rather long border between the two states).  Keep in mind that reasonable minds may differ as to exactly what "local" means.

47 minutes ago, animals4u said:

can they advertise that they buy from a local reputable breeder?

Can the store do this?  Of course it can.  If it weren't true, it wouldn't be legal.  Keep in mind that your post doesn't mention anything about any advertising.

47 minutes ago, animals4u said:

No.

47 minutes ago, animals4u said:

Can this be stopped?

I'm not sure what "this" refers to, but anything can be stopped.

I got a yes and a no answer as to this being a consumer protection matter. I am a animal advocate and I am aware of what happens in many of our Iowa puppy mills. A reputable breeder will not sell to a pet store and this specific store has pups shipped from all over the U.S..

With the USDA no longer making it public knowledge on their website as to the breeders and their inspection reports.,how can a customer gain knowledge on where their puppy is coming from and what violations the breeder has noted on their report/s? A "local reputable breeder" is not much for a ignorant customer to go on, And this is what they advertise. 

That is why we try and educate as many people as we can. We do need to adopt and not shop,as adjusterjack stated. I just wish more people could know really where their pup is coming from. We have labels on almost everything we buy. This should be visible to a puppy shopper.         

1 hour ago, animals4u said:

I got a yes and a no answer as to this being a consumer protection matter.

The reason for that is that you confusingly asked the question in the negative ("Is this not a consumer protection matter?").  I answered the question as you asked it; "adjusterjack" answered it as though you had not used the word "not;" both of us meant the same thing:  what you are describing falls within the purview of "consumer protection."

1 hour ago, animals4u said:

With the USDA no longer making it public knowledge on their website as to the breeders and their inspection reports.,how can a customer gain knowledge on where their puppy is coming from and what violations the breeder has noted on their report/s?

I don't really understand the first part of this sentence (everything before the comma), but the answer to the question asked is by asking questions and verifying information obtained in response.

1 hour ago, animals4u said:

A "local reputable breeder" is not much for a ignorant customer to go on

I don't disagree with that (it's also an incredibly meaningless statement), but a lot of consumers don't care.  Those that do will ask questions.

2 hours ago, animals4u said:

We have labels on almost everything we buy. This should be visible to a puppy shopper.

That's something to address by lobbying your elected representatives to enact appropriate laws.

2 hours ago, animals4u said:

Here's why you got a yes and no answer.

My comment is predicated on the consumer protecting himself from scammers by recognizing the scam and walking. In that vein it IS a consumer protection matter. Get it?

:)

animals4u likes this

If you want to buy from a local reputable breeder, common sense says you deal with them directly.  There are websites such as puppyfind where you can find a breeder of whatever kind of purebred or mix you want,

Thank you for your opinions.  I'm happy to hear that you are aware of this issue. It is bad in Iowa. As for my words before the comma, I was referring to the recent change on the USDA website. They removed from public view, the breeder inspection reports that were  available to the public to use.