Niceguy777

never got my item, i paid by usps money order....

Hello, I did business w/ someone on craigslist 3x.

it wasn't local, the seller was 3 hours south of me (i should have heeded the CL warning about dealing only locally)

the 2x she was receptive and i received my item as described

the 3rd time, ahe disappeared off the radar.

the usps shows that the money order was cashed by her

the amount in question is 19 dollars which I sent for this 3rd dealing with her and obviously this 3rd time I didn't get the item

she hasn't returned my phone calls

filing a complaint with the usps since I mailed payment and the money order was obvisously us mail covered under federal laws

anyway filing a complaint for 19 bucks with the US Postal Inspection Service seems to be a waste of time?

Am I right? the amount is for 19 dollars less than 20 bucks and what's different than the other 2 times I dealt with this individual, I have NOTHING IN WRITING that says hey here is $19 for the 3rd item you have for sale; Furthermore, it is not written in the Memo section of the usps money order nor are there any texts evidencing good faith of an exchange of 19 bucks for a particular product.

The US Postal Inspection Service is probably backlogged an inundated and too busy to follow through for 19 dollars right? especially since I don't have any written back up evidence on the 3rd transaction

Do you think the better alternative is suing her in small claims court?

\\

thanks for any constructive help

19 minutes ago, Niceguy777 said:

Maybe the USPS would investigate because you obtained the money order from the USPS, but it's not otherwise "covered under federal laws" just because you mailed the payment.

21 minutes ago, Niceguy777 said:

Am I right?

No one but you can decide what is and isn't a waste of your time.

22 minutes ago, Niceguy777 said:

The US Postal Inspection Service is probably backlogged an inundated and too busy to follow through for 19 dollars right?

I'm not sure why you would assume this, but no one here will have the slightest idea how busy your local postal investigator might be.

23 minutes ago, Niceguy777 said:

The filing fee in small claims court for a claim under $1,500 is $30, and you'll pay at least that much to get the small claims complaint served on the defendant.  While those amounts would be included in the judgment, you'd then have to pay to have your $79+ judgment enforced.  Even if you know where the defendant banks (such that you wouldn't need to spend $$ for a private investigator to locate a bank account), and even though post judgment levy costs are recoverable, you'll never get to a point where your net loss is $0 (or any other amount less than $19).  And all that doesn't even include the costs associated with you traveling to the courthouse and the value of your time (apparently six hours round trip plus the time for the hearing), which are not recoverable.  While only you can decide whether this is worth your time and money, suing over $19 would be objectively silly, and you probably should chalk this up as an extremely inexpensive lesson learned.

Yes, if you can find her for small claims court to serve her.  I would still file the complaint with USPS. While they don't have the resources to investigate a $19 complaint, if they get a number of complaints against the same person, they may open up an investigation.

41 minutes ago, Niceguy777 said:

constructive help

Reality check:

Forget USPS.

Forget small claims court.

Forget the $19.

Learn from the experience and move on.