sickntiredmom

Permanent Guardianship

Hello. I have adopted 2 girls and they have been with me for almost two years now. I would like to give my mother permanent guardianship of one of the girls. Does anyone know if we can just fill out downloaded forms from the internet and have them notarized or do we need to go through the courts/lawyer?  (Texas) 

Court - Yes.

Lawyer - Only if you can't figure out how to do it without one.

Otherwise all you are doing is giving your mother authority to take care of the child. That authority is not binding on anybody else (schools, doctors, etc) but a court order would be.

By the way, a child isn't like a toaster. You shouldn't be able to just give it away when something goes wrong with it.

Thank you for guidance. 

Nothing wrong with her. Did not feel I needed to share all of my personal financial, medical and other losses we have suffered leaving me unable to care for all of my children properly on a public site. But thanks for your concern and quick judgement. The world does not have enough of that.  

A guardianship cannot be "given;" it can only be created by a court order.  If you came and consulted with me about this, my first question would be why you want a guardianship instead of simply giving your mother a power of attorney for medical and educational purposes (which would be far simpler and less expensive).

pg1067, 

Thank you! That is what I was looking for. She (my mother) would need to be able to provide those things for my daughter (medical care, enrolling her in school, etc.) as I am not. Now that I know that is a better option, I will look into it. THANKS AGAIN!:)

12 minutes ago, sickntiredmom said:

Thank you! That is what I was looking for. She (my mother) would need to be able to provide those things for my daughter (medical care, enrolling her in school, etc.) as I am not. Now that I know that is a better option, I will look into it.

Just to be clear, I'm in no position to know what is "better" for you.  Giving your mother a power of attorney is, as I previously wrote, simpler and less expensive than a guardianship, but there are or may be other things to consider.

Yes. I understand. I'll look into this option to see if it fits our needs. I didn't realize a power of attorney was an option and thought permanent guardian was all we could do. I appreciate your input and information.