Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SternGirl03

Arrested after "speeding"

5 posts in this topic

A friend of mine was arrested for "speeding". When the cop initially pulled him over he said he was going faster than what he said he was going. He then came to his window and asked for license and registration (of which both he had). My friend does have a checkered past, but no convictions over the last 7 years. AFTER running his name the cop came back and said he smelled marijuana in the car. My friend doesn't smoke at all, so he knew this was a lie. Is this standard procedure after running someone's name? Should the cop have said something when he initially asked for his information? We believe he is profiling him based on his past, but we don't know what the procedures are. Please help!!

but we don't know what the procedures are

The procedures are to hire an attorney, go to the arraignment and plead not guilty, if you want to go to trial, if not, then plead guilty pay the fine and move on.   What was he charged with?

I wanted to know police procedures. He got a ticket for speeding and resisting after being told he smelled of weed. They searched his car and didn't find anything

There is no standard set of "police procedures" set forth in law.  Each department drafts its own.  And violation of procedure may get the officer disciplined, but normally has no effect on the charges.

13 hours ago, SternGirl03 said:

When the cop initially pulled him over he said he was going faster than what he said he was going.

Not sure what to make of this mishmash of ambiguous pronouns.

By the way, were you present for the events described?  Or is this just a second hand account of what your friend told you happened?

Is this standard procedure after running someone's name?

Not sure what this question means.  Certainly, if a cop smells marijuana in the suspect's vehicle during a traffic stop, it is completely normal for the cop to say so.

Should the cop have said something when he initially asked for his information?

None of us were there.  Thus, no one here is in any position to second-guess the cop's actions.

He got a ticket for speeding and resisting after being told he smelled of weed.

Ok...it's not clear what sort of "help" you think anyone here can provide -- especially since you've told us no facts relevant to the "resisting" ticket.