NEApril12

Consequences to re-marry during 6-month waiting period

My ex-husband and I got our divorce decree signed by a judge and it was filed at the court house on 01/05/2017.  He is planning to re-marry in Las Vegas next month (March 2017).  It was noted on the Divorce Decree that there is a 6-month waiting period for remarriage and neither party is allowed to get married to anyone anywhere in the world during the 6-month waiting period.  Can he change his permanent residency from Nebraska to Las Vegas so he can avoid the 6-month waiting period as listed on the Divorce Decree?  Or simply just go to another state and get married and come back to live in Nebraska?  Please help!

(I guess)

No , one has to wait!!!!!! One doesn't become resident of other states right away, and probably need to have been resident for a year ......become resident of other states,....I assume.....

35 minutes ago, NEApril12 said:

Can he change his permanent residency from Nebraska to Las Vegas so he can avoid the 6-month waiting period as listed on the Divorce Decree?  Or simply just go to another state and get married and come back to live in Nebraska?

Well...for starters (and no offense is intended), what business is this of yours?

As for the questions asked, section 43-372.01(b) of the Nebraska Revised Statutes provides that "[f]or purposes of remarriage other than remarriage between the parties, a decree dissolving a marriage becomes final and operative six months after the decree is entered or on the date of death of one of the parties to the dissolution, whichever occurs first."

What that means is that any new marriage entered into before the expiration of the six month period would be bigamous, and it doesn't matter where the new marriage takes place.  If your ex seeks a marriage license in Nevada, he will have to submit an application under penalty of perjury and will have to state that his prior marriage has been terminated by divorce.  If he does so before the expiration of the waiting period, he will committing perjury.

18 minutes ago, akulamasusu said:

One doesn't become resident of other states right away, and probably need to have been resident for a year ......become resident of other states,....I assume.

Best not to respond when you admittedly don't know what you're talking about.  Residency is not required for a marriage in any state, and there is no waiting period at all to obtain a marriage license in Nevada.

Well, yes, pg1067, it is none of my business.  Let's see, I was lied to once when I moved in with my ex and I didn't know he was still married to someone else. And yet, he is using the same technique on another woman again whom lives in a foreign country.  Nobody likes any ex'es new girlfriends or new spouses, but I would hate to see another totally blinded woman following my painful footstep and experience, and I happened to be a woman!!!

And, all I'm asking was whether the action to remarry during the 6-month waiting period is legal or not, that's all.  One doesn't have to be rude about it. 

Besides, we are still financially tied not completely divided things up as yet.  And I shouldn't be worried about my legal right?

Thanks for answering.

28 minutes ago, pg1067 said:

I come from different legal system,  civil law is a bit different ,from civil+common law i guess.....I guess the article is different too ..but some of principle has the chance of being  the same i guess.  so.....Normally I would not come to this platform, because i found it's very American law.....ha I don't know where to find articles cover those issues... In  ..  I found different legal system has some similarity in principle but also drastic difference...its built on precedents..., Recently I decide to do a topic about euthanasia and I read through  Jack Kevorkian judgment and , England Tony Nicklinson .judgment...or ..European Human right  court judgment....about euthanasia ..........I used find law to find some judgment about euthanasia .........., then I just come here....ha..... just come by and say hi ^^

We were married for 18 years.  Among those I was financially abused and trapped.  I have to take over all the debts that he created so he will sign the divorce paper.  I know, it's time to move on.  Law is here for a reason, and I hope someone will enforce it.

3 hours ago, NEApril12 said:

Of course you should "be worried about [your] legal rights," but you didn't tell us that you were "still financially tied [together and had] not completely divided things up as yet."  However, any violation of laws about marrying again doesn't really bear on your rights.

I can't imagine why you would agree to take on all of the debts. You could have divorced him whether or not he agreed to it, but if by mutual agreement you made certain arrangements a judge isn't going to disagree. Whether his subsequent marriage is valid or not has no bearing on you. That is between he and his new wife to be.