Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
filipinomama1970

Common Law Marriage In Ohio

2 posts in this topic

My husband and I signed a Common law affidavit on 10/03/87. However around 5 years ago we lost that affidavit. I want the courts to recognize our marriage as a legal marriage. I know common law is no longer in Ohio as of 10/10/91 but if you were common law prior to that you can not get a marriage license. How can I get in front of a judge w/out an attorney so a judge can say yes you are or no you are not so I can have legal documentation either way?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, filipinomama1970 said:

I want the courts to recognize our marriage as a legal marriage.

 

In what context?  That you've posted this on a message board about criminal law suggests you may be concerned about some sort of marital privilege issue.

 

 

1 hour ago, filipinomama1970 said:

if you were common law prior to that you can not get a marriage license.

 

Well...sure, but you don't need one.

 

 

1 hour ago, filipinomama1970 said:

How can I get in front of a judge w/out an attorney so a judge can say yes you are or no you are not so I can have legal documentation either way?

 

Unless there is a dispute between you and your husband about the validity of your marriage, you probably can't.  Why do you want a judge to do this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0