melly129

Injured at work

Good Morning:

I am trying to find some information.  My husband fell off a ladder at work, 7 feet onto concrete where he was hanging something for a newly designed electronic classroom.  He had immediate care at the hospital.  His right arm was broke in 3 places and xrays showed his spine is curved and the Orthopedic Surgeon said it is due to the severe bruising and swelling to his right side when he fell.

He was out of work for 2 weeks.  All paperwork was filed with the Employer and Workmen's Compensation has paid for his medical care.  Since, he has returned to work which he chose to do.  My husband does not want to "milk" the system or his injuries. The arm and spine will be monitored and followed up.

My question is, will he be offered a settlement because of the injury taking place?

Melly:

I am not sure what State you and your husband live in, however, in Pennsylvania if an injured worker misses 2 weeks from work as a result of a work-related injury, he/she would be entitled to 2 weeks of Weekly Disability Benefits which is typically two thirds of the pre-injury Average Weekly Wage. Pennsylvania is a "wage loss" state but there are other states that have "permanency" awards rather than settlements based upon wage loss.

Typically, the Workers Compensation System is meant to reimburse an injured worker for lost wages and pay for medical treatment.

I would suggest you contact an experienced Workers Compensation practitioner in your local geographic area to determine what, if any, remedy your husband may have as result of missing 2 weeks from work with need for ongoing medical care.

http://www.phillyworkinjury.com

In NY, if there is a degree of permanent disability as a result of the injuries, he can file for permanent partial disability benefits. Some refer to that as a settlement. A true settlement may include compensation for PPD, but is very different and not something you would request.