UhBrayden

PCH Sent me an Unordered package!

Hello, 

I'm writing to you today to discuss a legal solution to my situation, before I go out and hire a lawyer I'd like advice. Yesterday I was sent a package by Publishers Clearing House that I did not order. I've ordered from them once in the past and then never again. The package was quite big and I didn't open it as I don't order much online so I knew it wasn't mine. I looked at the shipping label and saw who sent it and contacted them about it. PCH stated that I ordered it and I also paid in full for it, at this point I thought I had called a scammer and hung up(They asked for my credit information due to me not knowing the order #) I looked at my bank account and noticed a fee of $540.15 was charged by them, couldn't cancel this transaction as per my bank(I told them to cancel all my cards & send new ones so this wont happen again). I then called PCH again and spoke to them after being on hold for 3 hours they explained to me that I had ordered the product and I just "FORGOT ABOUT IT"(Im not lying I recorded the entire call these guys are rude throughout the entire call). After 40mins of random conversation with this guy he says you can ship the item back for a full refund. I say okay do you need my email for the shipping label the guy no joke chuckles and says "Sir you need to pay to ship it back". Not happy with this outcome I ask to speak to a supervisor and the guy puts me on hold for another hour then I get disconnected(he hung up). So fed up with this I bring this package to USPS to ship it back and they wouldn't take it because it exceeds the 70lbs weight limit. I then go to UPS very upset still, they price it out for me $110(no way in hell I'm paying that). I've contacted them several more times by email and received the same condescending responses. What can I do here am I out $100 or $500, should I take them to small claims and hope they don't show up??How is it not illegal for them to just charge me with out my consent?? Im 100% I did not order this product over 100%, also it weights about 150lbs this is insane. They cannot get away with this!! 

14 hours ago, UhBrayden said:

should I take them to small claims and hope they don't show up??

That's up to you. Just understand that your filing and process service fees might come pretty close to what it would cost you to send back the package for a refund. And if they don't show up you get a default judgment. Then what do you do to collect?

14 hours ago, UhBrayden said:

How is it not illegal for them to just charge me with out my consent??

Of course it's illegal but just saying that isn't going to get you your money back nor is anybody going to jail for it. Something being illegal doesn't stop people from doing wrong.

Sorry, I don't know how you can fix this but I can tell you how to prevent it in the future.

Get yourself a credit card from Bank of America. BofA has a service called Shopsafe. When you order online you generate a temporary credit card number that's good one time for the amount of your purchase and expires the following month (or later, if you choose). If an online merchant tries to use that credit card number again or for a higher amount it gets declined.  Citibank has a similar service on its credit cards.

If you had used something like that the first time you ordered from PCH they would not have been able to charge your card again.

15 hours ago, UhBrayden said:

before I go out and hire a lawyer I'd like advice. . . .  What can I do here am I out $100 or $500, should I take them to small claims and hope they don't show up?

First of all, the notion of hiring a lawyer over a $500 matter is rather absurd.  Second, the most obvious thing to do is to dispute the charge in accordance with your credit card issuer's policy (the policy should be printed on your statements if you didn't keep a copy of the account terms and conditions).  If, for some reason, the card issuer does not resolve the dispute in your favor, then you can file in small claims court.  Why you would "take them [sic] to small claims court and hope they [sic] don't show up" is beyond me, but I suppose you can hope for anything you like.

15 hours ago, UhBrayden said:

How is it not illegal for them to just charge me with out my consent?

Well...it is, but just saying so doesn't magically make things all better.  To be frank, anyone who doesn't understand how to deal with a mistaken/false/fraudulent charge on a credit card should not be carrying such a card.  It's pretty basic stuff.