cmariaw

Faked Responsibility for Accident

About 2 years ago my sister hit a car while turning on a busy street. I switched seats with her because she had no license and didn't want to go to jail. I wasn't aware that the insurance on the car had lapsed that month so I was sued for $6000 for damages by state Farm on behalf of the driver. 

On top of that my license was suspended and I have a ticket to pay. My sister said she would take care of it but now isn't holding up to her word.

Is there anything I can do to get her  to claim responsibility? Or at least get my name cleared from this mess? I understand I won't be let off the hook completely but I can't afford to pay that type of money. 

Nice family!

Did you have insurance on any vehicle at the time of the crash?  If so you should have notified them.  At this point any insurer you may have had will undoubtedly deny coverage due to your failure to report the crash.

There is no way you are getting off from the ticket or resulting fine.  The court loses jurisdiction to reverse its judgment after a defined time which is usually way less than two years.

You are screwed.

1 hour ago, cmariaw said:

Is there anything I can do to get her  to claim responsibility?

We don't know your sister and, therefore, have no way of knowing what might persuade her to do this.

1 hour ago, cmariaw said:

I can't afford to pay that type of money.

Sorry, but you should have thought of that before you elected to commit criminal fraud.  You can defend against the lawsuit by claiming that you weren't driving and that your sister was driving.  Whether anyone will believe that after two years is anyone's guess.  Maybe that will induce the plaintiff's insurer to add your sister to the lawsuit.  Or you could file a third-party claim against her.  The problem with that, of course, is that she can use your prior admission(s) that you were driving against you and claim that you are now changing the story just to get out of paying (which, in fact, is exactly what you would be doing).  Hard to imagine that you still have a ticket to pay or a license suspension to deal with after two years.

1 hour ago, RetiredinVA said:

You are screwed.

Yeah...probably.