Crystlsinger

Force Amenity

My apartment decided we should have a trash pick up service. It costs an extra 25.00 a month.  I did it for free up till now I pay for trash already and now I am forced to pay for this service or move out.  Seems fascist to me. Is it legal to not allow an opt out on amenities?

Explain "trash pickup service".  I'm too accustomed to landlords' inappropriate assignation of something as "amenity" when it isn't.

If you are m-t-m, not sure why they wouldn't just increase rent by $25 extra and then separately say "New amenity!  Just put trash outside door and no more lugging to dumpsters."

If you're in the middle of a lease, they aren't free to change terms.

Regardless, fighting "The [wo]Man" (in this case, landlord) often requires an expenditure of time, trouble-effort and dough well beyond what you may suspect, even where landlord is behaving unlawfully or contrary to contract.  The "(it's the) principle" cases usually need to be personally meaningful to look back on them as worthwhile.

Crystlsinger likes this

Hi @Crystlsinger

Welcome to the Answers community! Sorry to hear about your situation with your landlord. It is understandably frustrating that your landlord categorize the trash service as an "amenity" when you are being charged for the service and cannot opt-out. What are the terms of your lease? Are you in a year-long or month-to-month? As Fallen mentioned, it sounds questionable that your landlord add a mandatory term to an existing lease absent negotiation by both parties. Unfortunately, challenging this additional charge through the legal system may end up costing you more than the charge itself.

The FindLaw.com Team

Crystlsinger likes this

Yes, I just put my trash out by the door and they get it but from the hours of 6p to 8p and I work from 3p to 10p. Paper that came with small trash can I am now responsible for says I can not leave the can out during the day or I do not get my trash collected.  Terms are outrageous! Any help there? 

I also pay a fee for dumpster pick up already and it is a new lease I just signed. I was told to sign or move out with the breaking lease fee if I don't like it. I Had to sign or go m to m which is an outrageous price. I can barely pay as it is. Like most people I am too rich for any help but have a kid with a disability and have to manage all that comes with so that the extra money takes away from where I could really use it like getting out of here with out spiraling in to an impoverished state.  I am certain no one cares about this but hey. There it is. I am one of those people who does not have the four thousand it would literally cost to move. Rent here, rent for new place, deposits, and moving itself.  I have student loan debt and no job for my degree.  I work below what I should.  Just move out seems so easy but, no, it isn't. I feel trapped and dare I say it abused by the power this place asserts over me when they just throw **** out there.  What is next? The next thing will make it harder for me to find money to leave. I am struck by a story I heard of miners who took housing from a company they worked for and never got out of their debt. The had to work for the rest of their lives due to unfair practices of those people.  How is this different? I mean conceptualy?