Maddy1980

LOCKED OUT WITHOUT NOTICE!

I am in the state of Washington.  My fiancee and i have been living at his mother's house for a little over 2 years.  Recently, my fiancee went to jail and when i went to visitation, his mom took it upon herself to throw part of my belongings on the back patio, and the fence is knocked down and changed the locks and is refusing to give me any of my belongings.  I called Clark County Sheriff and when they told me that there is nothing that he can do and then i am served with an order of protection for protection from me.  Now what can I do when the police wont even help?

HI @Maddy1980

Welcome to the community and thanks for your question. Sorry about the housing situation that you are facing! You may fall a little bit in a grey area, because this is probably not a landlord/tenant situation in the purest sense if you and your boyfriend were not paying rent and did not have a rental agreement, etc. So, unfortunately, you may not be able to invoke some of the rights that tenants have to notice of eviction.

However, there are likely several ways forward for you (given that you have already unsuccessfully sought assistance from the police). You mentioned in your post that you were served with an order of protection. Did your fiance's mother seek a restraining order against you? If so, you can appear at that court hearing, and request that the court order a time when you can return to the home to retrieve your belongings.

Or, barring that, you can file a small claims action. This will likely not help you recover your actual belongings, but you could seek damages in the estimated amount of the items withheld from you.

Best of luck!

The FindLaw.com Team

You'll need to start research on how to petition court that handles landlord-tenant matters and show up a hearing for the TRO where you attempt to convince court that landlord is being untruthful about basis for seeking order.

Sheriff office isn't precisely being truthful in that someone could go there and talk with her about retrieval of X stuff before the hearing on the restraining order.