its_just_me870411

need some advice, desprately asap

I need help finding a way to fix this, in March I had went to an apartment complex & tried to get into an apartment for my daughter & myself. While my background was being processed I told them that I lived paycheck by paycheck & that I have the deposit for sure, just not the pro-rated rent for the 3 or 4 days PLUS the next months rent(which they wanted that, & since I get paid bi-wkly, my paycheck was only able to cover the pro- rated rent so I still wasnt able to cover the fullllll rent till the mid month.. I needed a place & didnt want to be living in the streets with my daughter so I gave them the deposit & I told them that I dont mind waiting to give you the full amount to get the key, but they just gave it to me & told me it was fine, that we can work something out. So I went along & started moving in. They own their light in the complex, so literally like 9-10 days later (just a day or 2 before getting paid) they shut off the electricity & I called & was rudly told by the manager I was either to pay now or be out by the end of the week & I asked that didn't they agree that they'd wait? And since I didn't want any trouble.. I moved out!! & now it's haunting me that I owe a full year of the lease ($11,000) to them or I will never get a place! for the sake of my daughter I am trying to find a place but it pops up everywhere! FINALLY a landlord gave me advice on what I can do, first is to find a legal aid attorney (since I am not rich enough to afford) & to see from there. I am from south texas, does anyone think I may have a chance to dispute this $11,000 from my record??

what did the legal aid attorney say? He or she would know your chances much better than strangers on the internet, because they deal with this all the time at legal aid.

If you did not have the full amount that they were asking for upfront, it was not wise for you to go ahead and give them the deposit, but I understand the pressure you were under.  

You do not need to be "rich" to be able to afford a legal aid attorney.  The very concept of legal aid organization attorneys is to help represent the low-income clients.  Do a GOOGLE search for "whatever the name of your city or county is" and "legal aid" to see if the name of any organization comes up.  Ask a local librarian or any attorneys office if they can help you find local "pro bono" representation (which means "free").

Who says you are responsible for a full year of the lease?  Is that what the agreement says?  What the landlord has done is most likely illegal or in error.  If I were you I would contact a local attorney who specializes in landlord/tenant law and ask for a consultation, which is usually free or very inexpensive for the first visit.

I'm not quite sure what you're asking, and we obviously don't know the terms of any lease you signed.  Nor is your description of your verbal dealings with the landlord very clear.  However, prior verbal agreements may be irrelevant if you subsequently signed a lease.

I've already got an aid attorney on this,  thank you for the replies. I hope he can help out in some way. Either to pay half or all of it off the record is what he's going to try.

Being homeless is no joke. 

I wish you'd done a little research before you left the apt.  You truly thought that a manager turning off power and telling you to get out is how eviction works?  Upsetting, that.  And no mention of how you know better now even though you've talked with someone who is a landlord (and obviously have internet access), so that's worrisome.  Please read all you can about landlord-tenant matters as time allows.  

And I suspect what you mean about electricity is that they had ability to shut off power to your unit, and that there was no account in your name with power co.  Highly unlikely property has its very own power plant. 

A landlord is obligated to mitigate damages, and even in backward-ass Texas they have eviction procedures that must be followed.  You may be able to prove illegal eviction tactics.  I can't imagine why, given info you've shared, why anyone would suggest you'd owe this place any money let alone "half". 

You don't even indicate a lawsuit and judgment, so perhaps you mean to say this is a nasty record on credit report.  If it's a judgment, I'd have to guess you weren't properly served and thus didn't show up in court.

knort, I think poster simply didn't finish parenthetical remark about not being rich enough to be able to pay for a lawyer, hence legal aid.