retrorift

Shot by a sauce Pan

I am a US citizen residing in Taiwan. Recently while cooking I became injured when the pan I was using discharged (meaning like a gun shot) a metal rivet used to attach the handle to the pan.  The rivet embedded into my left wrist partially severing a tendons and nerves that required micro surgery to both repair the damage and to remove the rivet from my wrist. My recovery is said to take any where between 6 months to a year before the full range of dexterity of my fingers and wrist returns.  After three weeks I still have considerable pain and numbness and almost total lack of feeling in my middle finger. If defective product came from a US company and the fact that I am a US citizen allow the opportunity to recover medical expenses and some nominal suffering fees for the loss of my left hand.? 

Shot in the Kitchen

If the product was defective you are able to pursue the manufacturer regardless of your citizenship.

Unfortunately, proving a product defect (although not impossible) will be difficult.

Were you covered by some sort of workers compensation in Taiwan?

That you are a U.S. citizen is irrelevant to anything.  Your right to recover depends entirely on Taiwanese law, and you should consult with a personal injury attorney there.

Are you certain Taiwanese law would provide a remedy for this? Perhaps it does, but it is worth remembering that other nations  may have very different laws from the U.S. If you are not familiar with Taiwan law, about all that can be said here is what pg1067 and I have said: the OP needs to consult a Taiwanese lawyer.

I wrote "pursue the manufacturer."

Didn't say anything about how.

Oh, come on now, you know that what you wrote suggests some kind of legal remedy. I cannot imagine that you meant to suggest only that the OP has the right to write a letter asking the manufacturer if it will please pay for his injury, after all. Presumably he already knows that, so telling him that wouldn't do much good. Nice try, but I’m not buying this one.  :)