phdnpainting

parents rights to obtain childs school records

My husband has a daughter now 26 raised by her Grandparents. She went to private catholic school in stockton, ca. We would like to access her school records to obtain information of her address while attending school to present it in court is this a parents right under "directory information" I feel this could be helpful information when we go to court for a balance arears.any information will be helpful, thank you

We would like to access her school records to obtain information of her address while attending school to present it in court is this a parents right under "directory information"

I'm not sure what you mean by "directory information," but no, your husband does not have any legal right to the information in question (and certainly you don't since it's not even your child).

I feel this could be helpful information when [your husband goes] to court for a balance arears.any information

Why would the child's address during elementary and/or high school be even remotely irrelevant to an arrearage issue?

Because the grandparents raised her and paid for her school and the mother collected welfare fraudulently for the daughter here in California.Yes he owes child support because of the divorce order,but since the mother applied for welfare the amount has added up way past the total amount of money ordered buy the court and then they have added interest which that amount when totalled seems it would be illegal. Thank You,any comments are helpful

Because the grandparents raised her and paid for her school and the mother collected welfare fraudulently for the daughter here in California.

I don't really follow this explanation, but it seems to me that your husband may want to pursue a welfare fraud report against the child's mother.

In any event, if the information is relevant to the arrearage issue, your husband should be able to obtain it by way of a subpoena.

Under the federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), if the school received any federal funds it is prohibited from releasing any educational records about the child to any one but the child once she reached age 18. There is an exception for “directory information” which includes the name and address of the student but only if the school notifies the student (and for a minor, his or her parents/guardian) that such information may be released and gives the student sufficient time to opt-out of being included in the directory information.

Is there is a reason why the grandparents who cared for her could not simply testify that she was in their care during the years in question? After all, that is the real issue right, not where she went to school? Proving where she attended school doesn’t prove that she wasn’t in her mother’s care, after all. At least not directly. You’d still need something else to make that connection, and the testimony of those who actually cared for her would be the best way to establish that, it seems to me.

Sorry it took so long to read this answer. Yes, what you are saying makes perfect sense. The Grandmother has past, but the Grandfather is still alive and dwelling here in Stockton, CA. From what I have been reading only certain officers of the court are able to subpoena any one or thing, is this somewhat correct? Thank You for your help,...,